SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drchocobo

A newbie preasure canner question

drchocobo
13 years ago

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I figured as it pertained to food safety I should ask even though I didn't find this.

I finished a canning job (My second ever in a pressure canner).

I canned pinto beans with a little salt pork for flavor. I followed the required canning time and pressure and when the batch finished, I opened to canner and noticed the smell of the food I'd canned. I figured it was from the out-gassing of the air in the jars as they canned, and all looked well. The jars had a rock hard seal, the water was a little below the top of the beans by about 1/8 of an inch, but all looked well as I lifted them out and placed them on the rack to cool.

Here's where it gets interesting. When the stuff was cooled I noticed a little film of residue from the stuff being canned on two of the jars. I removed the bands and looked under the lids with a lens and a light. The seals are still solid and clean, at least they look that way and feel that way. You almost need pliers to open the things.

Is this safely sealed?

I observed the proper head-space when I canned the stuff and made sure not to run the cooker too hot. This is only my second canning job and I would rather be safe than sorry later. Only two of them seem to have done it and one I popped open to check the seal strength. It was within 24 hours of canning so I retired it to the fridge for later use.

Ive been on a lot of pages relating to canning and have found no information pertaining to this situation. Any info you could tell me would be helpful

Thanks

Drchocobo

Comments (10)