SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

Mirro pressure canner on glass-top stove

ilovepoco
16 years ago

Hello everyone -

I have diligently searched this forum and read all of the related postings that I could find.

After doing a ton of research, I really want a pressure canner with a rocking indicator, not one with a pressure gauge. The Mirro seems to be the one for me, but I am stuck (at least for the forseeable future) with my current GE Profile Spectra glass-top stove. We plan to convert to gas, but it involves some relo and construction work, so it's a project that keeps being pushed to the back burner (no pun intended :o)

I'd like to hear from anyone who is ACTUALLY USING or has used a Mirro 22-qt pressure canner on a glass-top stove (not an electric stove with coils). I'd like to know if there are any issues I should be aware of. Has anyone had any problems with this combo of stove and canner? Or has NOT had any problems?

I KNOW that there's talk about an issue with burner diameter vs. canner diameter, and many sites selling the Mirro canner online contain a caveat (which I assume came from the company's own literature) that it's not recommended for glass-top stoves since it may transfer heat beyond the burner and damage the surface. I measured this canner's bottom diameter yesterday in the hardware store - it's 11". My biggest burner's diameter is 8-3/4 inches. We've been using much larger pans on this burner (and on all of the burners) for years, since there's nothing in the Owner's Manual for the stove about any size restriction.

I just talked to the GE Answer Center specifically about using a pressure canner and they say there is NO LIMITATION on the diameter of that or any other cookware that can be used on my glass-top stove - no "no more than 1 inch bigger all around" restriction that has been mentioned several time on this forum.

I'd like to call Mirro and talk to them, but I can't find their Web site or phone number. After a bit of poking around, I found out that the Mirro Aluminum Company was sold to Newall-RubberMaid in 1983, and then subsequently divested. Right now, I can't figure out WHO is manufacturing Mirro cookware! (Makes me wonder about committing to this brand at all.) If anyone with a current Owner's Manual for a Mirro pressure canner could send me the Consumer phone # I would be most grateful.

Are there any other rocking-indicator canners out there beside the Mirro that will work on a glass-top stove? The only brand that I can find that says it works OK on a glass-top stove is Presto, but that's got a gauge.

Time is of the essence, as I am about to be engulfed by a tidal wave of tomatoes... this year, we got 2 plots in the public gardens in the next town over (Boston suburbs), so I went a little nuts (well more nuts than usual) in the tomato department.

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (20)