SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intergalacticon

New recipe test - Shelf life w/o water canner?

intergalacticon
13 years ago

First let me say that I've been making jellies and jams for about 8 years, using Ball powdered pectin and following their procedures exactly (with a few little tweaks I've picked up on)... Only problems I've ever had were with a poor-jelling batch made with sure-jell - not sure what happened, bad batch or my mistake, but ball's never let me down.

Anyways, I've got a bumper crop of berries this year, and have been watching my pile of black raspberries grow in anticipation of making some jelly... I FINALLY (2 years of searching) found Ball no-sugar pectin at a local hardware store yesterday and picked up a box to play with - So, today I'd like to try out a batch, but here's the caveat...

My tap water is incredibly hard, so I use distilled water in my boiling pot. It'll be a couple weeks before I get into things full-swing, so I don't want to waste all that water on a 3 pint test batch (and don't have any smaller pots I could use that are tall enough). That said, what's the average shelf life of a batch made normally, but not put into the boiling water pot? I've never had a problem with my overflow/fridge jars (straight to the fridge w/o boiling water), but I'll probably keep one jar and give out the rest for opinions - with explicit instructions to refridgerate ASAP and toss it if it pops on the way.

...So, any suggestions here? Should I increase the cook time to make up for lost heat from the canner? Avoid the gamble entirely? It's not like these are gonna sit on a shelf for 6 months, as long as they all pop they'll be thrown in the fridge ASAP.

...Sorry for the rambling intro, just wanted you guys to know that I know what I'm doing when it comes to jam and jelly, just never tried it without the water canner and want a small (but full size) test batch to determine whether I should go with the no-sugar pectin or stick with the old, rediculously sweet stuff - Oh, I plan on using the 3 cups of sugar that the recipe allows for... Not that I don't like sweet, just want to dial it down quite a bit.

Comments (13)