SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Just bought a pressure cooker/canner......

User
13 years ago

and I'm terrified o use it!!!!

I am so darn sick of HW bathing tomatoes and I find the tomatoes seem less acidic so I bought a 22 Q (or maybe it's litres) pressure canner.

Tomorrow I'm doing 2 bushels of tomatoes....any hints. tips, watch outs you want to share.

Can't imagine I'll ever use it for regular cooking, it's huge!

Comments (30)

• wizardnm
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You will love it.
    I was too lazy to get mine out, I was only doing 7 qts of tomatoes the other night and afterward, wish I had. I have to go find tomatoes to buy tommorow...they big canner is coming out!

Nancy

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Just calm down.....read the directions really well....then..read them again. If you are really anxious, do as I did years ago and pull up a chair right in front of the stove where the canner is doing its job. Sit right there on that chair to watch the pressure gauge so it does not go beyond the level you need for the food you are canning. Have a timer nearby and set it for your time when it reaches the right pressure.

Because you are sitting there "watching the pot" you can be sure the pressure won't get dangerously high and that will help you get over your fear of the beast. I know this sounds silly, but it always worked for me. Too many people get distracted by the kids, the animals, the phone, the TV, etc. and don't watch the time and pressure while canning and that is when bad things can happen. I never had even a tiny problem when canning, 'cause I was always right there watching it.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Difference in pressure cooker vs canner?

Q

Comments (14)
    To answer your question about a pressure COOKER - I still have an old one, which is about 4 quart size. It is made by Presto also, and can be used to pressure cook meals - like roasts, etc., that take a long time to cook otherwise. It is an oldie - but seldom used now, because of other cooking methods, which I find tastier in the long run. It is still used as a cooking pot and makes a great rice steamer. I wash/rinse about 2 cups of rice a few times, then cover with water in this pot, bring to boil for a minute or 2, until water is below rice. Then turn off heat, cover with the lid and the weight, let steam for about 10 minutes. Works great, although not a rice cooker especially, I find it works well for that purpose, besides being handy for cooking potatoes or other veggies. It has the same weight that Presto uses on some CANNERS that Presto makes, and the one I have. In that way, if I lose my CANNER weight, I can use the COOKER weight as a substitute. However, having said that, I recently purchased the newer weight that can be disassembled and used as a 5-10 or 15 lb. weight - so nice for PRESSURE canning, and great for more accuracy. Just my 2 c's. Bejay
    ...See More

Difference between pressure cooker and pressure cooker/canner?

Q

Comments (12)
    "Pressure canners come deep enough for one layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a canner be large enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner for its published processes. " If you go to the Presto site, nowdays you will see they only list the larger size as canners. They have 18 quart and 23 quart. Anything smaller is under cookers. http://www.gopresto.com/products/products_search.php?search_value=58&operation=Search&search_type=category Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation
    ...See More

save $$ top-quality pressure cooker/canner

Q

Comments (22)
    I would dearly LOVE to find one of these in the tall ones that you can use so many jars in. I mean I would do me one more happy dance for sure! I have went to estate sales and auctions and thrift stores to no avail. Just praying on day before I get too old to can God blesses me with one! In the meantime I keep borrowing my friends that I am thankful will allow me to borrow hers. She never uses hers and so tempted to ask her what she would take for it. I had said up above someone had gifted me one but he found what he was looking at that day in all his stuff and it was some sort of a paint sprayer. He does say he has a pressure canner though but heaven knows when he will ever dig it out. lol He has enough stuff to furnish 5 houses. lol He's such a giver though so God really blesses him.
    ...See More

cleaning question for pressure cooker/canner users

Q

Comments (4)
    Now see! That was the answer I was looking for!!! Yes, the pipe cleaner will clean a little, but I wanted something better as I use my PC almost weekly and felt I needed to get that crud off the inside of the vent. I even visualized a mascara wand but didn't know if I could clean an old one sufficiently to use it on the PC vent or where I could buy a new one. Rats! Just tried a cleaned discarded mascara wand (who knew the brush was white plastic?) and it is too wide to fit down in the vent. Worth a try, though. Now I'm going to go look at my sewing machine tools. Thank you, morz8!
    ...See More
  • claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Congratulations! You'll do just fine. In fact, it will be so easy, and unlike past pressure cooking experiences you had or heard about, you'll only wonder what took you so long!

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

Prolly most everyone already knows this but I didn't know about it until a couple of years ago...

If you have hard water & get deposits on your canning jars from processing, put a good sized glug of vinegar into the water in the canner--works for both BWB & pressure canners. Keeps the glass sparkling & you don't get a deposit in your canner either.

All my canners have pressure gauges and those really kinda' suck because it can be a pain to keep the heat regulated and they're kinda' spooky to use because the pressure can really build fast. I plan to get all of mine converted to using a rocker weight--lots easier to use. I'm assuming that, if you bought new, that you have the weighted system. They're really a piece of cake to operate. Obviously, they're still something to use with Respect but, once you have one batch under you're belt, I'm sure you'll relax. And then start planning all the other stuff that you'll now be able to preserve!

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Welcome to the PC club Chase! You're getting a lot of good information here..

I have a 12 qt. PC with a rocker weight and I bought DD a 6 qt. with rocker for Christmas last year.

You sure got a big one! I use mine for canning in the summer, but sometimes I use it in the winter for tougher cuts of meat that I want to shred. Mine came with an instruction manual and a recipe booklet (I've never used it), I need to dig that out.

I was just the opposite of Teresa nc7 when I first got my PC-I stayed as far away as possible from the stove, just close enough to listen to the jiggle! lol

ci lantro, thanks for that vinegar tip, I never knew that! We have city water but sometimes I do get white deposits on the jars.

Di

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm reading the instruction and it says that it will take 45 minutes to an hour for the cooker to cool down enough to remove the jars. It also says that it handles a max of 5 Quart jars.......That's only 5 jars for every let's say 1 1/2 hours

This is in no way a time saver as it will take me 5-6 hours, with cooling, just to do 20 jars....bummer. Am I reading it wrong?

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Chase, a 22 qt. usually will do 7 quarts.
    What brand did you buy?

Weight or gauge?

Don't forget.....there's almost always someone on the Harvest forum to fire questions at too!!

You can use some of the 'cool down' time to be prepping/filling your next batch! It isn't wasted time.

I don't know if your instructions mention it, but it's standard procedure to remove the weight after it's cooled and allow the jars to sit in there for another 10 minutes before taking the lid off.

From what I understand, even the newer manuals aren't putting this in (I could be wrong, I have an old one), but the NCFHP and Ball sites all have it. No big deal, it usually takes me that long to figure out where I've left my jar lifter and pot holders!

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Deanna

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

When all the pressure is completely out of the canner (maybe less than 45 minutes) you can safely remove the lid. Then, I always put a clean kitchen towel over the jars, draping it on the edges of the canner. This kept any drafts away that could effect the sealing of the lids. After the hot steam evaporated, I would lift out the rack with all the jars still in it and set it on the counter on thick bath towel for the jars to cool some more. After a few minutes, I would carefully remove the jars to sit on the bath towel, then cover the jar tops with the kitchen towel to keep drafts away until they were completely cool and sealed. I don't think it took as long as 45 minutes before I had more jars back in the pot to process.

Teresa

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys, I feel like I'm in a seven step programme!

I'm canning tomatoes with basil and parsley. According to what I am reading I need to have the jars under a 10 PSI pressure for about 30 minutes and then another 30 or so minutes of cool down. Does that sound right?

Also I'm guessing that, other than to thicken my sauce if I wish, there is no need to cook the tomatoes before canning which would save a ton of time.

• jude31
    13 years ago

Chase, when I was first married I bought a pressure cooker, with weights, and I was scared to death of it. The first time I used it, I stood in the hallway where I could see the stove because I was sure it would explode.

My pressure canner has a dial gauge and, like Teresa, I pull up a stool and sit and watch it until it's finished. The gauge can shoot up in an instant and I want to be "on top of it". I'm still glad I have it even though I have a healthy (?) fear of it. I don't think I could use my canner as a cooker, hmmm, I really never thought about it before.

jude

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Chase, my canner instructions read:

You can reduce pressure three ways:

1-Fast- Run cold water over the cooker or place it in a cold pan of water. Depending on the amount of food in the cooker, it will take 15-60 seconds for the pressure to go down fully.

2-Normally- for canning
    Let the cooker cool slowly to room temperature. This will take 30-40 minutes for a small cooker, 45-60 minutes for the largest canner.

3-Combination- for meats and dried vegetables
    Let the cooker cool normally at room temperature for five minutes, then place the cooker under cold water to reduce the remaining pressure.

Depending on how busy I am I usually let it cool by itself.
    But I was taught by my MIL to place it in the sink, run cool water over it, and use a wooden spoon to jiggle the rocker so the steam escapes faster. This is probably not a good thing to do but I have done it for years with no problem,

Di

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it was a complete and total disaster.... : (

I sure did something wrong but I'm not sure what. I followed the instructions diligently, or so I thought.

The results after 25 minutes under 10PSI pressure were jars with at least three inches of liquid gone, although none leaked tomatoes into the cooker.

The liquid and solids had totally separated. The tomatoes continued "boiling" ie bubbling for a good hour after I removed them from the canner.

The jars weren't sealed coming out of the canner but popped almost immediately after being removed.

Like I say an absolute disaster and I'm not sure why.

I placed 2 1/2 quarts of water in the canner.

Brought it to a full boil and let it vent steam for 10 minutes

Then placed the 10PSI weight on the canner

When it jiggled hard I lowered the heat....but I have to say it didn't do the "gentle rock thing" at least not to my eye. It would steam every once in a while and then the weight would rock/jiggle but between steam burst it wasn't very active. I had the heat set at 7/8 out of 10. I pressured cooked the tomatoes for 25 minutes and the cooker cooled for about 45 minutes.

Any ideas folk? I am so disappointed.... my gut is telling me too hot but I don't know.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

OK, this will work out, but it is a learning curve.

To get comfortable with the canner and your stove's settings, "can" a couple jars of colored water. No harm, no foul, you're out a couple of lids and that's all.

If the water in the bottom of the canner is colored when you take your "canned" water out, that tells you there's been siphoning. Usually that results from too much fluctuation of temperature during the pressure canning process.

Another possibility with tomatoes is inadequate headspace and/or packing the tomatoes too densely and they expand with heat.

I don't know what brand of canner you have or whether it's a gauge or weighted canner. Otherwise I'd give more specific help.

Some suggestions:

1. Follow the manual for amount of water and ignore it for anything else. Those manuals are almost never updated. Go instead to the National Center for Home Food Preservation site for up-to-date instructions and processing times for recipes in pressure canners.

2. Fill the canner with the recommended amount of water. Add a little vinegar. I get the water boiling while I finish filling jars.

3. Load the canner. If you have pints, you can fit in two layers at a time. Either use an additional rack or stagger the jars so they aren't sitting directly on top of the jar below but are "between" jars. Don't worry. They won't jiggle during processing.

4. Place the lid on and turn up the heat. You can turn it up to high at this time as long as your stove isn't one of those "restaurant-style" high-heat gas ranges. Presto doesn't recommend more than medium or, I think, 11,500 btu's because too high a heat can fracture the vessel.

5. Wait until you have a clear steady stream of steam coming out of the vent and begin the 10-minute timing at that point.

6. When the 10 minutes have elapsed, place on the pressure regulator (weight). All-American has a 5-10-15 pound weight and Presto sells one as an accessory. These are easier to use as you just select the appropriate number.

7. If I'm processing at 10 or 11 pounds (depending upon whether it's a weighted or gauge canner) I watch for the pressure to get up around 7 or 8 pounds and then gradually, slowly, start reducing the heat so that by the time I hit 10 or 11 and the weight begins rocking, I'm pretty much at a steady temperature and don't need to raise or lower the heat by more than a smidgen to maintain pressure.

Fluctuations in pressure are to be avoided. That's when you lose product from the jars. Make notes in your book as to what settings on your range work best. When you only use a canner in the summer it's easy to forget. I re-read my manual every canning season.

8. When you reach the appropriate pressure start timing. When you reach the end of the time turn off the heat and allow pressure to drop naturally. Do not force-cool the canner or remove the weight prematurely.

When you think you're at 0, if you're not sure, gently move the weight just enough to see if there's any residual escaping pressure. If there is, leave the weight on a bit longer. If not, remove the weight. Removing the weight before you're truly at 0, again, will cause product to spew from the jars.

Once the weight has been removed, leave the product in the canner for 10 minutes. Ignore the manual or any other sources that provide different instructions. The time to come up to pressure, the time to cool down and the wait time are all included in current safe processing times. It isn't just the time under pressure that counts.

Remove the lid. Tilt away from your face to avoid steam.

Now, at this point if the product in the jars is still at a really good boil, you can leave them a bit longer, but you can take them out as soon as you're ready.

Never leave product in a closed canner overnight. Some bacteria may still grow under these conditions.

A practice run or two can be really helpful in getting comfortable with the whole routine, which is why I suggested the colored water route. You have to know your stove and its settings.

Now, to get to your other frustrations. Pressure canning doesn't always save time. Sometimes it does. For example, I just canned 32 pints of applesauce. I completed it in two canner loads. With a boiling water bath it would have been 5 loads and I would have been splashing water for several hours.

With quarts there's less advantage unless you have a mega-canner, and even I don't want to go there. It's just too much to deal with.

In that case the advantage isn't time but the wider range of options - you can process your own chicken stock, KatieC's roasted tomato soup, all kinds of low-acid product impossible with a boiling water bath.

I think it's especially frustrating trying to do this on your own. People used to learn these things at grandma's knee, but for many of us that advantage has been lost. But you will get there.

Let us know if we can help. I know Deanna and I and Annie and others are glad to answer any questions you have.

P.S. Home-canned tomatoes often do separate, depending upon the kind of tomato recipe you can. Some of that separation will dissipate over time. But the whole point of home-canned product is that we avoid doing some of the things commercial canners do that produce "pretty" product but not always the best taste or most healthful option.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Causes and Possible Solutions for Canning Problems

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

Thanks so much for all the great info and links! I really appreciate it.

I'm not the type to give up so I'll soldier on. This AM I'm going to try it again with the coloured water...great idea!

I think I must have had it too hot and the darn thing was blowing a gasket trying to regulate itself....blowing a gasket LOL!

Thanks again!

Sharon

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh sorry, meant to tell you it's a weighted canner, no gauge.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Actually, Sharon, it doesn't sound like a complete disaster to me. The jars sealed even though you had some separation and maybe lost liquid from the contents.

"Another possibility with tomatoes is inadequate headspace and/or packing the tomatoes too densely and they expand with heat."

This sounds to me the most plausible reason for the loss of liquid. Also, did you use a knife blade slid down inside the jar before sealing to release any air bubbles that might be in the jar? Most general canning instructions have you "work out bubbles with a clean knife or spatula" before you wipe off the jar rim with a clean damp cloth. Then you dip the flat lids in boiling water to soften the rubber compound, put the lids on, put on the rings, and tighten the rings - I always screwed on the rings then gave a good tightening motion for a really secure seal. My instructions say not to tighten two-piece closures after processing, this is why I make sure they are really tight before putting in the canner.

I think it's possible that over filling the jars with the tomatoes and maybe slightly loose lids caused the liquid to to be reduced in the processing. The separation may just be a natural thing with tomatoes and not a big deal.

Hang in there! One time does not a disaster make!

Teresa

• User
    13 years ago

Sharon,

Honestly your canned tomatoes are the best I've ever had. Why mess with perfection?? LOL! That said, I hope you figure out your new toy.

Happy Canning.

Ann

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I use a plastic blade to remove bubbles to avoid scratching the glass. That kind of stress or "wound" can cause a jar to break in the canner (boiling water bath or pressure canner) and that's a nasty mess to deal with.

Did you buy a Mirro? They don't emit the same sound as Presto or All-American and that can be misleading. IIRC Deanna has a Mirro.

It sounds as if you have all the bases covered. It's amazing how often the secret to canning is sheer stubborness, LOL.

Carol

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the second and third batches were much better. I left a bit more head space than I do when doing a HWB and I lowered the temperature quite a bit and didn't get as many steam bursts. Also shortened the processing time to 10 mins without the weight and 15 minutes with it.

Much better result although still some separation...which I will no longer worry about thanks to your sage advice ladies.

Carol, my machine is a Mirro.

I'm still confused about one things...well more than one but this is the one of the moment! I fully expected the lids to have popped during the canning process but none of them did , they popped after I took them out of the canner. Which I guess makes sense...as they cool ...but for some reason I expected they would seal "pop" in the canner.

Off for my last few jars....might be a few weeks before I eat tomatoes! Tonight is Habenero Gold and then I'm done and we are off on vacation!

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Sometimes lids pop in the canner, sometimes they don't. It's less likely that they will seal if the jars are larger (i.e. quarts v.s. pints) and/or if the product is more dense. It just takes longer to cool sufficiently to "pop".

If they haven't sealed within 12 hours then it's time to refrigerate. (I often go less than that but that gives you an idea of how long it can take.)

Mirro and Presto are more difficult to regulate than an All-American because the vessel is thinner, so your canner will be more "touchy" in that regard.

It's just part of the process of familiarization.

Congrats on the improved batches!

Carol

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol , they all "popped" within 10 minutes of being outside the canner. Everyone has sealed. Just not what I expected so now I can put that worry to the side.

I've been HWB canning for 230 years so it's time for a little shake up!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Yep, we need to keep ourselves on our toes, don't we? You will love the sight of those purty jars of red tomatoes lined up in your pantry or on a shelf somewhere. My grandmother had her storage in the basement with a door to the small room and fabric curtains hanging over the shelves to keep out any light. She is the grandmother that would bring me a quart jar of her home canned tomatoes when she came to visit me in college. :o)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Make that 30 years!!!!! LOL

I do love the sight of all my tomatoes, dills or whatever lined up. I've been known to keep them om my counter for weeks. I hate to put the beauties to bed.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I don't know. Sometimes when it's 2 in the morning and I'm waiting for that darned canner to cool down, it feels like 230 years!

Carol

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

I don't remember it taking it that long for it cool down while attending Canny Camp. I'm sure it did...maybe it was the wine. LOL That much time for 5 or seven jars concerns me a little. Just the time factor compared to HWB canning.

I've wanted to take this on too but haven't yet. They still scare the heck out of me. I'd like to do some soups and stock for sure. Are you thinking about doing some non acidic canning too?

Great info and tips here for sure. Thanks for the heads up should I get my nerve up and buy one next year. I finished the last of my canning this weekend.

David

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David not sure I'm going there, it is really a bit stressful for this old broad. My big worry is how do I know the jars really sealed "enough" for non acidic canning?

Anyhow, this years canning is done so I'll just have to do research and mull. For now I'm going to have a glass of wine.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Sharon, they've sealed "enough" if they are sealed and you can't lift the flats off, really they are.

Pressure canning gives you so many more options, you can do mixed spaghetti sauces or the tomato basil stuff like you just did. You could can homemade chicken or beef broth, or all kinds of vegetables or vegetable soup or chili or dried beans, just like Carol mentioned.

Carol has given you good advice, and I nearly always get a bit of "separation" when canning tomatoes. I don't know why but I always end up shaking those jars when I grab one to use, just before I dump it into the pot, LOL. I do sometimes get some loss of product too, if I turn the heat up and down too many times to regulate it.

I don't think it takes quite 45 minutes to bring the temp down on mine, but you should not run water over it or do any quick method when canning, only when cooking in it. The cool down time has been factored in when they tested the recipes.

Annie

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Sharon, congrats on taking the big step. As Annie said....it opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
    Yesterday I went over to a farm for more tomatoes and I got those but I also bought 1/2 bushel of the nicest, fresh green beans. I couldn't pass them up.
    Today I canned seven qts of the beans and froze the rest...we like both. I also froze sweet corn...it was the sweetest I've ever tasted.
    The tomatoes that I bought aren't quite ready yet, maybe by tomorrow.

Nancy

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Annie, thank you for making that distinction, I now remember that my MIL only used that quick cool down method for beans, meat, and chicken etc.

Not for canning!

Di

• readinglady
    13 years ago

If you really want to test the seal, whether BWB or PC, then after the jar is fully cooled (12-24 hours), remove the ring and turn it upside down over a deep bowl.

If the lid stays on, believe me, it is sealed and you don't have to worry about it.

The whole point of pressure canning is that the product reaches a temperature that will assuredly kill any nasties (assuming you follow recommended time and pressure).

There just are no bacteria.

Consider this excerpt from FDA Consumer, 1990:

The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on the Missouri River in 1865, destined for the gold mining camps in Fort Benton, Mont. The boat snagged and swamped under the weight, sinking to the bottom of the river. It was found a century later, under 30 feet of silt a little north of Omaha, Neb.

Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value.

Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier.

The nutrient values varied depending upon the product and nutrient. NFPA chemists Janet Dudek and Edgar Elkins report that significant amounts of vitamins C and A were lost. But protein levels remained high, and all calcium values "were comparable to today's products."

NFPA chemists also analyzed a 40-year-old can of corn found in the basement of a home in California. Again, the canning process had kept the corn safe from contaminants and from much nutrient loss. In addition, Dudek says, the
    kernels looked and smelled like recently canned corn.

In 1967 my DH was eating canned C-rations from 1944. Actually, he thought those meals were much better than the "modern" freeze-dried LRPs.

Now I don't have any plans to eat 40-year-old corn and I won't live long enough for anything that might sit on my shelf 100 years, but the point is, properly preserved, food lasts well beyond any point of our concern. It may lose color, it may soften, it may not taste as good, but it is safe.

Carol