SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwstell42

I feel like a proud Papa

jwstell42
14 years ago

I'm sure you guys get this kind of posts all the time this time of year, but last night I canned my first thing... ever!!!

It wasn't complicated or crazy, just Zucchini relish, but man at the end... looking at the 6 pints I had done (not a huge batch but enough) I was all proud like a new dad!

Quick question - for the ball jars, does anyone know if someone out there makes 1 piece lids? I am NOT talking about canning with them, I just think it would be useful after they are opened to be refrigerated (Relish, Pickles etc that get used over a months time period) it would be nice to have 1 piece lids that you can replace the two piece with. It just seems to be a bit clumsy to have to use the 2 piece every time you want some relish with your hot dog!

Anyway, just wanted to share. I am SO looking forward to making Annie's Salsa, Dill Pickles etc this year! My Jalapeno's are ready, sweet peppers only a few weeks away, and my 14 tomato plants are starting to all mature! Only thing lagging a bit is my cucumbers but they will be there soon enough!

Comments (24)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Yes Ball sells white plastic screw on lids, in both sizes, for using on the jars after the jars have been opened. Sold 6 or 8 to a box.

Congrats on your project. I know the feeling. ;) What recipe did you use?

Dave

• MLcom
    14 years ago

Ok so what receipe did you use for this Zucchini relish?

you realize ya have to share that too besides :)

I love the white plastic screw on lids, make yogurt here and use those as the lids in my canning jars.

ML

• Related Discussions

I feel like a pro!! - thanks to you guys!

Q

Comments (1)
    Fantastic! See how easy canning really is. I've already eaten one of my jars of B&B pickles. :)
    ...See More

First Year Success!

Q

Comments (1)
    GoldfinchGuy, Great success story. I am happy a brood of yours fledged. Please share your story on bluebird nut cafe. It is a much more popular forum than this one. I come here to help and answer questions but some I cannot answer so I tell them to post their story there. I would love to hear more about your trail and it's results this season. Please join us at the link below http://bluebirdnutcafe.yuku.com/ -Tyler
    ...See More

I did it ........ and I'm pretty proud of myself!

Q

Comments (4)
    I"ve always tried to do a few simple repairs over the years, my XH wasn't real handy. My dad was amazing and he taught me a lot, but I've never done anything like that before. I also found out I can rent one of those big power snakes from HD. It might be a good idea to give the waste pipe a good cleaning. I probably should have done it when I remodeled the kitchen - I have 30 years of accumlated gunk, heaven only knows what the previous owners put down the drain! LOL That's Rainforest Cafe's Sparkling Volcano - it comes with a sparkler on top. My daughter and my neigbor's younger daughter share the same birthday - so I try and take them both out for lunch (along with her little sister and my SIL and anyone else who thinks they have to come along). It's funny how birthdays have worked out, the older daughter has the same birthday as my niece and my grandson has the same birthday as another neice. I have no excuse for forgetting birthdays.
    ...See More

Feeling very proud today!

Q

Comments (33)
    Thanks everyone. What is amazing to me is that she has been talking about this for so long and I wasn't sure how she would do it! But, she did. I like how she explains everything in detail, the hows and whys. I didn't expect this either.
    ...See More
  • ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I made zucchini relish last year and it was/is delish...My favorite of the relishes I made.

• jwstell42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I used Linda Lou's I found posted on this site. And while it obviously hasn't set and "matured" yet, fresh out of the pot it was delicious already.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it yet.

Linda Lou's Zucchini Relish

10 cups ground zucchini
    3 cups ground onion
    5 tablespoons salt
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    3/4 teaspoon tumeric
    1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 red bell pepper, ground
    1 green bell pepper, ground

Using coarse grinder, grind zucchini and onion. If large zucchini are used, remove seeds before grinding. Combine zucchini and onion with salt and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. Drain thoroughly.

Combine sugar, dry mustard, turmeric, celery seed, pepper, vinegar and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken; then add ground bell peppers and cook on low heat for 30 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

Pour into pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids.

Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.

Yield: 6 pints

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Congratulations! It's a "Relish"!!

LOL
    Good feeling isn't it? So........what's next? You know you're gonna get hooked like the rest of us.

Pretty soon, you'll be knocking on strangers doors wanting to know if you can 'glean' some produce, shopping ebay for canning supplies, justifying more gadgets (cherry pitter for me this year!), etc.

Welcome to the club!

Deanna

• junelynn
    14 years ago

I know just how you feel! I stared at my jars for the longest time. Very proud, very proud! I think it proves you are one of "us", a true canning lover!
    Check WALMART for the plastic sealing caps, in the canning section. Right now, they may be out of stock and the internet would be a good source. You can also search for jars at thrift stores, just make sure there are no dents, chips or indentations on the RIMS. I wash all jars in my dishwasher before use.
    BIG LOTS have jars and lids - only regular size, not wide mouth. They have good prices. I also found 3 doz. small jelly jars at a yard sale for $7. I threw the lids and rims away. Rims were rusty and you never reuse lids. NEVER.

Question: What do you use Zucchini Relish for? I've never made it, but might. Congratulations on your first canning!
    I'm a newbie to pressure canning, so enjoy your experiences and learn from this forum! The folks are wonderful!

Kitchencrafts.com has a lot of stuff for canners...

• jwstell42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

From the taste of it I would use it just like I would use a bread and butter pickle relish (hot dogs, hamburgers etc).

I've also heard of people mixing it with a pasta salad to give it that pickle taste.

All sorts of uses if you think about it :)

I just wanted something new to use the zucchini for besides bread when I have more than enough fresh picked (which I have it coming out my ears right now!).

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Congrats! I am so happy for your success. Now you will be hooked. I made Zucchini Relish last year and as much as I've always loved the sweet pickle relish from the grocery, the Zucchini Relish has replaced them. I'm hoping my plants give me enough this year to make my relish and freeze lots for making bread.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Just don't start giving the jars names. Makes it much harder to open and use them up. ;)

Dave

PS: photos of them however are appropriate

• ccaggiano
    14 years ago

I know the feeling!!! I am in my second year of canning. Last year I kept it simple. Pickles, salsa and tomatoes. This year I am venturing into more complicated recipes. In the last three days, I put up 9 half-pints of strawberry jam, two pints of roasted red pepper spread, 6 pints of Linda's apple pie jam made without pectin for ice cream topping, 4 containers of roasted tomato and garlic soup for the freezer. As I am typing, I am in the middle of processing six half pints of apple butter. The more confident you get, the more rewarding it is. All I can say is good luck and god speed and welcome to the other side!!! Hopefully, the addiction won't consume you as much as it does me!!!

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I'm going to try this recipe, couple of questions. Do you need to peel the zuccuni and can you use different varieties? I have a lot of different types,ex. patty pan, green, yellow, zeypher, etc.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Yep, you can mix them. Should be very pretty!

No. You don't need to peel unless they are very large and the skins are tough. Personal preference.
    For me, it usually IS the big ones that go into relish, so I peel (and remove large seeds). But, ideally, if you have plenty of small ones, just wash well, remove ends and grind.

It's very good on a ham 'n' cheese sandwich too! That was my birthday dinner last night. Romantic, huh? Big ol' sandwich, then we sat on the porch and snapped 15# of green beans. :-) Couple of glasses of wine....Perfect!

Deanna (the freak, as my hubby likes to call me!!)

• medcave
    14 years ago

I went to an old hardware store in a nearby town today and found these one-piece lids. Couldn't resist buying a box just for opened jars. :)

{{gwi:901519}}

{{gwi:901523}}

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Check the rubber seals! If they are dried and cracked, are not very useful. You can push a fingernail into the rubber to see if its still soft. Because they can rust, I use the Ball plastic caps and a metal lid on my opened jars. The plastic caps are not liquid tight and can leak. You have a collectors item there!

• medcave
    14 years ago

They're like new. There wasn't even any dust on the boxes. It looked like there was about a whole case of them. Think I should go back for more? :)

They also had cases of Jelly jars for $4.99. I started to buy all they before I noticed the words "Great for Freezer Jam". Closer inspection showed the jars came with plastic caps and no threads for regular lids. How old is this stuff?

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

I found that the plastic tops of mayonnaise jars work great for putting on top of opened jars. The Best Foods mayonnaise lids are a pretty blue with no writing on them. They are my favorite and I save them to put on top of gift jars with the unopened flat in place. They look good and work just fine.
    Donna

• mrswhlbarrow
    14 years ago

Big question - grinding the zucchini and peppers for this relish (which sounds fabulous!) -- can I use my Cuisinart? Or do I need to buy the grinding attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer? (Love an excuse for more toys!)
    Thanks, in advance,
    Cathy in DC, still working on apricots - today halves in vanilla syrup, tomorrow apricot/raspberry/citrus jam a la C Ferber. I am a canning maniac!

• kterlep
    14 years ago

medcave, those jelly jars might have been the ones that are like drinking glasses with a snap-on lid. I got some accidentally in a batch of jars I picked up off craigslist. Probably the HW store would be happy to let you look at them.

While rubber on a regular lid might be degraded, if those are regular canning jars, it's not a bad deal...

• ccaggiano
    14 years ago

I have a stupid question along the same lines. How exactly do you grind zucchini?

• medcave
    14 years ago

medcave, those jelly jars might have been the ones that are like drinking glasses with a snap-on lid. I got some accidentally in a batch of jars I picked up off craigslist. Probably the HW store would be happy to let you look at them.

I did take a closer look. One of the boxes was open in the center. They *were* like drinking glasses. In fact a couple of the other boxes had been taped back up. Folks had obviously bought them in the past thinking they were the regular screw-on lid jelly jars.

The screw-on one-piece lids I showed above were on a separate shelf from the jars, not the ones included in the jar cases. Those had the plastic snap-on lids as there were no threads on the jars.

Old stuff - before my time.

If I ever think of anything small I would want to freeze, I may go back and buy those "freezer jelly jars". ;)

• jude31
    14 years ago

As Yogi would say it's de ja vu all over again. This time last year I was googling to find a zucchini hot dog relish to surprise my son. He had eaten some at a neighbors and literally raved about it. We were taking care of his garden while he was on vacation and he had zucchini.. so I googled zucchini relish recipes and Voila! I stumbled on these forums and have learned so much, enjoying it all the while. I had not canned in 20 years and then only green beans and tomatoes so I was practically a newbie. First it was Annie's Salsa...who could resist trying it after all the rave reviews and Carol (Readinglady) and Zabby were so kind to help me and many, many others, since then. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Just finished 6 pts and 1 1/2 pint of the salsa and 4 pts of Chunky Tomato Pasta Sauce, a la Carol.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Grinders have an auger (usually metal) in them that forces the food throuhg metal cutting discs of various sizes and come in hand cranked or powerd models in a wide price range.

We use our old metal meat grinder (like the ones used for making sausage etc.) with the coarse grind vegetable blade on for relishes.

You can also use a blender or food processor if you are into electric appliances but they tend to make it more mushy/soupy as they chop rather than grind. Same with the hand choppers.

Then there are coffee grinders but they only do small amounts at a time.

And I suppose you could also use your Victorio/Roma tomato mill with the salsa attachment though I doubt the plastic auger would push it unless the zukes were quite soft.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Meat grinder

• ccaggiano
    14 years ago

I ended up having my six year old grate them. I saw another post somewhere on here where they said it was okay. And even if it isn't exactly right, I am playing on garden web eating annie's salsa while my daughter is doing all the work :-)

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

When buying canning jars, don't get any with loose fitting lids. I used to have many here. Fancy looking but the lids were just stamped metal with a 1/4 lip on the edges. Suitable for parafin seals. Today, that kind of canning is not recommened. I doubt if the one piece screw on lids are going to work a second time. Its like trying to reuse a regular disk lid, something not usually done as the rubber seal as already been compressed and you also risk a possible rust starting inside, that you can't see.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths