SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flgardenmom

Introduction and potting shed questions

FLgardenmom
12 years ago

This is my first post, but I have been lurking and learning since moving to Fort Myers in January. So, I feel like I know some of you already.

Since moving in, I've been busy filling out a large empty flower bed in the front yard with blanket flowers, beach sunflowers, celocia, fountain grass, box wood, jasmine, prickly pear, agave, a dry river bed and bridge...and probably some others I'm forgetting. I threw together a spring veggie garden, which considering my knowledge and effort, did OK.

I've designated an "orchard" area. I put it in quotes because I live in a subburban neighborhood, but to me, it's my orchard. :) I've put in blueberry (using bamboorabbits "rules") and blackberry bushes and two apples and a peach tree.

I've created a small shade bed with caladium, ginger, coleus, and coontie. I've also done some italian cypress along the property line, and filled in a corner of the lot that had palms with a fire bush and necklace pod bushes. ...shew, I'm tired just thinking of it all. Oh, and of course, I'm following Silvia and Tom's posts closely these days as I excitedly plan my fall garden!!!! Tomato seedlings are doing great!

I'm a mom of two toddlers, who love playing in the dirt (of course), so it works well for all of us. And I have a job I do from home. So, when it's too hot to be playing in the dirt and I can talk the kids into getting out of the pool, I can still keep busy. ha!

I'm very new to Florida gardening. Except for the above, I did live in Palm Beach County and tried a veggie garden one year in June....yeah, you can imagine how well that went. ha! But I love it, and have immersed myself in websites by UF and this Forum and well anything I can find time to read.

So, now for the question! Since the rain has started and all my efforts are looking mighty nice, if I do say so myself. ;) My carpenter husband has told me he wants to build me a potting shed!!!! While I'm new and really don't think I'll ever match up to some of you, I certainly want to think the design through and not have him build something that I will outgrow in a few seasons. So, what would all you master gardeners want or have that you can't live without in a potting shed. The idea is to have shed with work table off to the side, like a kitchen peninsula, where I can work with the children on our projects.

Please, lots of ideas! And thank you so much for all I have already learned from reading current and archived posts!!!!

Becca

Comments (12)