SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gingin99

Introduction and question about safety

gingin99
15 years ago

First, I'd like to say that I've been reading this forum for over a year now and have learned so much about canning. I have no family tradition of canning, so I've taught myself. From what I've read, that's probably a good thing since I use all up-to-date resources and recipes. But I've finally come out of lurkdom because of my particular situation tonight.

I was making the brandied apple rings from the BBB (btw, there is an typo in my edition. It says it makes 3 pints when it should be 6). I don't have a proper rack for the stockpot I use for BWB. Tonight I decided to try using the rings which is a method I had read about. Well, that was a mistake! The jars were very tippy. So I decided to take them all out and use the trivet I normally use. I did it as fast as I could, but I thought I heard a jar "ping", so I set that one aside to be processed in the next batch with a new flat. Turns out I took the wrong one out. So, basically my question is...is it a problem if the jar prematurely sealed before going into the BWB? I don't know which jar it is, otherwise I would just set it aside and reprocess it or stick it in the fridge. Is it ok as long as I check all the jars for seals afterwards? I wouldn't be so worried about this except that I hope to give some of these jars away.

On another note, what do people like to do with their brandied apple rings? Have them over ice cream? Straight up? I've never had them before, but I got a ton of free apples and the recipe sounded good.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations