SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

walating at the potting shed (very photo-heavy)

We had nothing in particular planned for this afternoon so drove down to Niagara to check out The Potting Shed. A few years ago they used to have a booth at the farmer's market at a nearby mall. We always intended to check out their nursery but didn't get around to it before today. They specialize in daylilies and hostas. Since daylilies are in bloom now, we thought today might be a good day to visit - and it was! (aside from the fact that it started raining....)

{{gwi:171001}}
{{gwi:171003}}
As you can guess from the first picture, there a a bit of whimsy in the nursery :-)

But there was a LOT of day lilies:

{{gwi:171007}}
{{gwi:171009}}
{{gwi:171012}}
{{gwi:171014}}

The one that really caught my eye was one called Glowing in the Dark. They dug it directly from the ground - and brought me a flower of it to be sure they were digging the right one:

{{gwi:171016}}

There were a lot of hostas too - but far fewer than daylilies. See the dark purple flowers in this picture? I bought one of those. I need to check the tag to be sure - I think it's called Rosedale Bernie - or maybe Bernine. I did an internet search and can't find it so I think it's a new introduction. The flower color was very striking.

{{gwi:171022}}

I also picked up the more commonly found Blue Mouse Ears (which I haven't seen locally) and a Blue Cadet. I was awfully tempted by Country Mouse - it is SO cute!

{{gwi:171026}}
A tray of them with Randy's foot for scale:

{{gwi:171028}}

There were a lot of lilies too - here are a few that caught Randy's eye:

{{gwi:171031}}
{{gwi:171032}}
{{gwi:171033}}
{{gwi:171034}}
{{gwi:171035}}
{{gwi:171036}}

There were other plants too. I bought this bleeding heart called 'Burning Heart' - this is not a good picture; the flowers are a very intense red:

{{gwi:171037}}

I was tempted by this coneflower 'Coconut Lime':

{{gwi:171047}}
They had a lot of the new coneflowers and I asked about the reports of the unreliable hardiness of the new ones. The guy we were talking to said to look at the flower petals - the narrower the petals, the less hardy they are because one of the species they are hybridized from has narrow petals and is less hardy.

They had a small collection of water plants. We liked this waterlily:

{{gwi:171048}}

And someone was obviously playing around with grafting!

{{gwi:171049}}

It was a fun visit and we'll definitely go back again sometime. I did wonder if Saucy has been there...

{{gwi:171053}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potting Shed

Comments (9)