SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

WALATing in late summer choas!

The garden has teetered on the brink of choas for much of this year! After all the rain of the past week or so, things are very lush. The shady backyard is definitely all about foliage at this time of the year (with the occasional flower...) Here are some of the things that pleased me this afternoon:

I used golden Japanese forest grass in the patio planter-bench boxes this year because I thought it would look good with the yellow-edged hosta there. It has turned out to be a nice combination. I'll probably put the grass in the garden somewhere soon.

{{gwi:17126}}

I noticed an odd thing when was looking at the patio hostas - many of them are 'blue' hostas but all the heavy rain we've got in the past few days seems to have washed off the coating on the leaves that makes them look blue! I suddenly have a lot of dark green leaves instead of blue ones. Both of these ones are usually intensely blue but now look green with just a hint of their usual blue:

{{gwi:175346}}

The Elephant Ears are not as big as they usually are by now - too cool for all but the past week or two! Blue is visiting this weekend...)

{{gwi:38328}}

Ferns, hostas, heucheras and other shade plants are as happy as can be with the rain we've had lately. Here are a few of the groupings I like:

{{gwi:175347}}
{{gwi:175348}}
{{gwi:175349}}

Randy says there's a wasp nest near the compost heap behind the shed/beside the 'wet corner', so this is as close as I was willing to venture towards the wet corner because I'm not exactly sure where the nest is!

{{gwi:175350}}

We were doing some pruning and tying-in on the rose swag this afternoon. There's a Rose of Sharon at the end of it on the house side. I keep the RoS pruned flat to the house. I think the flowers do look a lot like roses:

{{gwi:26323}}

We temporarily dumped our Green Man by the south gate until we figure out were his permanent home will be. He's obviously very spooky for dogs - Zoe the rottweiler was very wary of him, so it's not just a Misty issue :-) We haven't taken Blue past him yet so I'm not sure how he'd react... This area is a barren mess at the moment as I'm trying to kill out some ditch daylilies there. I eventually want to put a nice hosta and heuchera combination there:

{{gwi:175351}}

We have one little watermelon in the driveway vegetable garden. There's nothing to give scale in this picture - the watermelon is all of about 2"! It'll be interesting to see how big it'll be able to get (although it is supposed to be a mini one...) It's really not warm enough to grow them but it's fun to try :-)

{{gwi:175352}}

The big front bed is more than a little messy at the moment! Looking towards the front bed from the top of the driveway:

{{gwi:175353}}

From the neighbour's driveway across the road:

{{gwi:175354}}

A closer view of the mid section:

{{gwi:175355}}

And then my batteries died in the camera!

Comments (14)