SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

WALATing on Canda Day (photo heavy)

Today is a holiday here - of course every day is a holiday here now that Randy has retired :- ) After a walk around the front garden after lunch, we visited a historic home property that we'd never been to before in a neighbouring town. The house wasn't open today but the grounds were. We got rained out so didn't get to see it all. We'll definitely go back. The gardens weren't extensive - unless there were more in the part we didn't get to... - but it was a very pleasant spot on the lake. The property is maintained by the town so I didn't expect there to be much in the way of an elaborate garden. Here are pictures...

Some shots from our garden first:

Vyvyan Pennell is fading fast and will soon be a puddle of purple on the ground!

{{gwi:169574}}

Hot Cocoa nearby clashes with Vyvyan dreadfully! One of these years I'm gonna yank this rose....

{{gwi:169575}}

The x durandi clematis is finally starting to look good on the BDC and angel rose combination - but the roses are fading fast so the timing is off for the three of them to make a nice show together :-( The clematis is a darker blue than it turned out in this picture:

{{gwi:169576}}

This is part of the base of the iron arbour, on the garage side of the arbour. I fear that the honeysuckle is the dreaded Hall's honeysuckle... We started the honeysuckle a few years ago from a cutting we took off a nice-looking one on a street in Niagara-on-the-Lake. I gather here Hall's is not the fearsome thing it is furhter south though.

{{gwi:169577}}

The shrubs (Viburnum opulus and various hydrangeas and a holly) along the garage wall have become climbing frames for clematis - it's all gb's fault!

{{gwi:169578}}
{{gwi:153940}}

The plantings in the new bed are starting to fill in now. The main bed is looking a bit plain in the background - it is currently dominated by Brookside blue geraniums sprawling over everything! The blue doesn't show up well in the pictures. We dug out a lot of the daisies last year and I think we took out too many. The coneflowers are ready to bloom in a few days but there's a lull on at the moment - likely because of the cool temperatures.

{{gwi:169579}}

Moving on to the estate on the lake....

The front entrance:

{{gwi:169581}}

There was a nice terrace off to the right with a wonderful view of the lake.

{{gwi:169582}}
{{gwi:169583}}
{{gwi:169584}}

Looking back at the house from the lake, the terrace isn't visible in this view (it's behind the trees on the left)

{{gwi:169585}}

That smooth green lawn is neatly clipped by the resident geese!

{{gwi:169586}}

I thought of Chelone and the discussion about paths when we walked in the woods. The path was wide. The surface was fairly coarse bark so it was a bit heavy going for me but walkable.

{{gwi:169587}}

Aside from a bit of rain in late afternoon, it was a very nice day here.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022