SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apoem

chili sauce questions/recipe

apoem
16 years ago

History:

Ok, I live here in NM where this kind of sauce doesn't go over very well. But my great grandmother was from Utah and she made this all the time for my father (and his brothers and sisters). My mom used to make it but lost the recipe (on purpose) and so for father's day I tracked down the recipe and thought I'd make this for my dad.

I know my aunt still makes it and cans it and my grandmother used to can it as did my mother.

But for all the jam making I do I'm a newbie to the rest of the canning secrets. So I'm begging for help. I think I know there is a problem with canning tomatoes but what about this recipe below? Does it seem safe enough? And the directions for times I have says stick in jars, put jars in boiling water until canned. So--- if this is a safe recipe for canning tomatoes can anyone give me a time? If it's not a safe recipe would pressure canning it work?

Recipe:

4 quarts chopped and peeled tomatoes

2 cups chopped onion (Fairly fine)

1 cup sweet red pepper (Guessing bell pepper!)

1 cup green pepper

1 small hot red pepper

3 tablespoons malt

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon mustard seed

1 teaspoon cinnamon and allspice (each)

2 1/2 cups vinigar

combine veggies and cook until mixture thickens, add vinigar and whole spices in bag and cook until thick. Put in jars, put jars in boiling water until canned.

The only change I'm making is putting in a yellow pepper as well as a red pepper just to spice it up a bit more.

Any thoughts or comments?

Comments (16)