SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

Mater pickn ripoff

rosajoe_gw
15 years ago

Last year I picked beautiful tomatoes for $7 in a 5 gallon bucket and made Annie's salsa. Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

This year I waited for the maters and the local farm (small town) posted and ad in the small newspaper today.

Called my Mama and we decide to go over today.

We were so dissappointed, the tomatoes had blisters and bugs and very few ripe ones and the green ones were all small.

My Dad loves fried green tomatoes so he was OK with the situation. I had already found the recipes for green catsup and I felt sorry for the nice farm family for having such a bad year. And a plus is the fact that the smaller fit more into a bucket!

This year the charge was $8 for a 5 gallon bucket, I knew the prices would go up because of gas probs.

We go to the house to pay and no one is answering the door, the sign says leave the money in the box on the patio. I go to wash my hands and there are boxes everywhere with green tomatoes marked as 'vine ripe tomatoes'.

I think this is border line dishonest and unethical!!!

For one thing, don't advertise upick when all that is left is culls, and when did green become vine ripe. I know I did not have to pick them but I actually felt sorry for them having a bad year. Yeah, IMA sucker LOL!!!

I think the farmers are trying to make a buck on the tomatoe scare, which is fine, but don't try to rip me off.

I think I am just annoyed with myself because I felt sorry for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will still use the maters, but next year I will support another farmer. What do you think????

Thank you for listening (reading) my vent LOL and for posting such wonderful recipes and info.

Rosa

Comments (17)