SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

My Very First Canning Venture went well... pretty much.

robin_d
15 years ago

Hello,

Well, I finally took the plunge - canned up six pints of pickled asparagus and 16 half-pints of blackberry jam (sugar free, low sugar and high test).

Not difficult, but I was surprised by a few things:

I thought I'd packed the asparagus tightly, but now that it's floating around in the jar, it seems not. Should I be concerned? I got 4 pints of pretty spears, and two pints of the still-good stuff that had to be trimmed off to fit the tops in the jar. We'll eat that on salads - waste not, and all that jazz.

I wasn't expecting the sugar to make as much difference in the yields as it did. All three blackberry jams were made with 4c of mashed berries (picked last summer and frozen). The sugar-free and reduced sugar jams were made with the Ball no-sugar pectin. Each batch included 1c of unsweetened apple juice - the only difference is that I added 2 cups of sugar to one of the batches. They seem to be jelling just fine, as near as I can tell. The third batch was full sugar (4c berries, 6.5c sugar) made with Ball liquid pectin - nothing fancy about any of these. All tasty though, based on the old spatula-licking taste test.

Ah yes, I also learned to stir carefully, 'cause spattering jam burns!

Question: I didn't wash the pan between the first two batches, since they used the same pectin etc. - just scraped well first. I made the sugar-free first, so no sugar found it's way into the sugar free. Does it matter that I didn't wash between? I did after the second batch, but that was mostly because it was getting pretty gunky and I didn't want to risk anything that was stuck to the side of the pan scorching and finding its way into that third batch.

I learned another really valuable thing too - even blackberry jam doesn't stain my granite counter tops, whew!!!

I must admit, I feel pretty self-satisfied when I look at those cute jars cooling in my kitchen - and now I know that sound you all refer to; that musical 'ping' of sealing canning jars!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor