SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynnandfriends

Big Job, Went Well...

jlynnandfriends
16 years ago

Yesterday Wayne and I processed our first ever flock of meat chickens (Cornish Cross). They were 7 weeks old.

It went extremely well...did all 25 chickens, but it took most of the day and evening to complete. I want to thank everyone here who has posted their knowledge and experience on the process...it made it so much easier to get the job done. I would not want to do it without a killing cone...it worked so well for us. Wayne made one and mounted it on a stand. If they taste as good as they look we will do it again next year. Huge breasts...pretty meat!

A couple of questions: There are only two of us, and 25 chickens, so it will take us a while to eat them all. Does anyone have any advice on keeping birds in the freezer for an extended period without getting freezer burn? Some of the birds we cut up into pieces, and some we left whole. The cut up ones were easy to put into a ziplock freezer bag and squeeze the air out. The whole ones were difficult to squeeze the air out. They are still in the cooler, not in the freezer yet, so if there are suggestions we will try what sounds right.

Also, Wayne scalded one of the chickens in water that was too hot when I was in the house for a minute. The meat turned a little whitish, the skin yelllow and thicker looking. Is this chicken going to taste OK do you think?

This is my first experience with this sort of thing. I thought long and hard about if I wanted to take on the task of raising and processing meat birds. We have only kept chickens for fun and eggs, and still have a lovely flock of Americana hens, and a couple of Cochin roosters...they are pets. I always tried to view the cornish cross as strictly "dinner"...but dang, a few of those hens were sweet and pretty...couldn't deny that. But all in all I think we did everything from raising to freezer ready really well. They were happy and well cared for while they were with us. I know they are not full of hormones and antibiotics or other undesirable chemicals...and we look forward to some great old fashioned chicken dinners..mashed potatoes...gravy...vegetables from the garden...Yum! Anyone want to come over for dinner?

J'Lynn

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations