SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

My surgery went well

cupshaped_roses
14 years ago

Due to increasing overweight I - like 4 other family members before me - chose to go through bariatric surgery and Friday dec. 18. I got a RNY gastric bypass surgery. The surgery went fine - but the post-op pain was really realy bad - but the next day I felt tired and worn out from all the tense muscles due to the pain. But I was able to drink more liquids and I only only liquids for a week -progresing to pureered foods (baby food) week and soft foods from weeks 3. My weight is dropping fast and I am down to 260 pounds today and have lost 45 pounds during the last 13 weeks - but will probably start the loosing weight fast the next weeks. I do not feel any hunger - due to the neurohormonal changes by bypassing 90 percent of the stomach, that cut the nevers sending hunger signal to the brain. Also the production af ghrelin hunger hormone goes down about 90 percent. And the 6 feet of baypassed small intestine will make me absorb about 40-percent of the calories and nutruients - so I need to take more supplements especially calcium, b12, Vit. D and iron adn have the levels monitoried doing labwork every 3 month.

I need to losse about 80-85 pounds more and it will proably happen pretty fast during the next 6 months. Overcoming morbid obesity - before I develop more comorbidities - or even become super morbid obese - and then have to have painful surgery to remove exess skin was not something I wanted to go through. So I did the surgery to prevent it and regain my health and reclaim my life. I love that I will be able to become more active and work harder with gardening again. It may seem very extreme to having your stomach and intestines rearranged like this - so from now on I can only eat small meals about 5 oz - protein first, veggies and fruit, and small amount of complex carbs. 50 percent will not tolerate sugar or highfat foods since it causes dumping syndrome. Basically the surgery will force me to follow a diabetic diet in small portions 5 times every day. Had I not gotten the surgery I would have kept gaining weight and besides hypertension, pre-diabetes, bronchitis and pneumonia - I would also struggle with osteo-arthrosis in my knees, hips and back. Now this will not be an issue. I am very happy that I went a head with it. It is no easy way out - and GBY patients have to follow their diet and exercise. If they return to poor eating habits and stop exercising - about 30 percent will regain the weight they lost ... the surgery on is own is only a tool - it does not work if not used correctly.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths