SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrytea4me

My very first seedlings!

berrytea4me
14 years ago

Finally I can say I'm a daylily mom!

None of these are truly spectacular but certainly a few are worth keeping an eye on.

Two crosses with 2 siblings each to share today. Some of these bloomed yesterday but I had so much labeling & organizing of photos to do that they didn't get posted.

These are from purchased seed so I didn't own any of the parents at the time of seed purchase but wanted the genetics to carry forward.

2007-056-001

'Fencing Master' x 'China Clipper'

22" x 4.75", EM, frg.

This one has beautiful color much like its parent FM. It had a little difficulty opening with our cool evening so I'm looking forward to better form on future blooms. Branching is 3-way but all at the top. I was going to hold this against seedlings but yesterday I visited my display garden and saw that it is happening to many named varieties this year so may be weather related. Bud count was 7 so moderately low. Did not produce pollen but I also noted that today on 'Tuscawilla Blackout' so wonder if that is also weather related. I immediately gave it pollen from 'Passion In Paris'.

From the same cross is 2007-056-002

18" x 4", EM, frag

This one is either a thrips magnet or just ugly splotchy color. Both the pistil & the stamens were deformed & infertile. It is likely to hit the compost heap unless dramatic improvements show up in subsequent bloom.

2007-005-001

Cross is 'Spacecoast Sharptooth' x 'Wisest of Wizards'

24" x 5.5", EM

This plant has fantastic branching (3-way well proportioned & terminal y's) & budcount (17). Even if the flower remains a dog it will likely be used as a bridge plant. The flower color was very pretty coral-rose with a berry eye & edge. The metallic edge looked like gold encrusted with rubies. Major flaw is flower form with uneven tepals on each side of the midribs. Hope that improves.

And finally the one I'm most excited about so far is

2007-005-002 a sibling of the one above.

12" x 5.5", EM

The blended color is difficult to describe or capture on film. For me it looks closer to accurate if I view my computer screen from the side a bit. The best description I can come up with is a muted brick-red bitone. The color is very smooth. The eye is a berry/plum over a blended green throat. Though it is short, it holds it flowers well above the foliage. Branching is 3-way and budcount moderately low at 7. It had trouble opening fully with our cool evenings. I expect that to resolve shortly with improved weather. I immediately crossed it with its sibling -001.

Comments (10)