SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Established Bahia lawn

gardengimp
12 years ago

I took a few pictures of the established part of our Bahia lawn.

And, it's not really 100% Bahia. There is also some bermuda, sunshine mimosa, st. augustine, mondo and zoysia. And I generally leave the clover in place. I am experimenting with adding perennial peanut to see how that does.

Here is a closer up.

This has been in place for 6 years. It was slow going getting established. Though I took a several year break after we first seeded, and it didn't get as much care. I overseed bare spots in spring and fall. And plug in sunshine mimosa, mondo and/or st. augustine depending on the conditions.

I think some common mistakes made with Bahia include: mowing too short (I mow in summer at 4", in winter at 3"), mowing with a dull blade (mine needs to be sharpened), too much or too little water, insufficient lime. Bahia is 'drought tolerant' only to the extent that it goes dormant without water. And looks dead. I find that this section of my yard (full sun) needs to be irrigated every 10 days or so if we've not had rain.

I'm having a heck of a time getting it established in the back yard. Between running, rough housing Belgians, no irrigation and partial shade it's tough. I'm experimenting with making my own plugs. See how that goes. Wish we could afford to have it sodded, but oh well. Gives me something to do.

~dianne

~dianne

Comments (4)