SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steppy_gw

Reusing pickle and preserve jars

Steppy
11 years ago

I saw a very old thread on this from 2008, but I wanted to bring this back up. My entire family (grandmothers on down) has always reused the pickle and preserve jars with one caveat; they only used them for "spoon in" things, like relishes and preserves, they sealed them with wax and never use them for anything that isn't going to be eaten within a few months.

So the other day I found an old box of jars in the garage, and inside was one jar of preserves that had somehow never gotten put into the pantry. It was marked 2008. It was canned in an old Mt. Olive pickle jar, sealed with wax. I opened it, the wax was intact. The preserves were not discolored, and they smelled like freshly canned preserves.

Am I going to eat them? Not on your life, but the point is, if they could stay that good for that long, I see no harm in reusing jars for something you're going to eat very quickly, especially if it's something that doesn't take long boiling processing, like relishes or preserves.

I know a lot will say "better safe than sorry," but no one in my family ever died of food poisoning eating the things my grandmother or mother canned this way. In this disposable world, isn't it best to find a way to reuse everything we can?

I know what the pros say. I've read all the studies, but if you're smart enough to toss out anything that seems a little off, like our grandparents and parents were, why not reuse the jars?

Comments (4)