SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

I made Senate Bean Soup per NCHFP Guides - Delish!!!

robin_d
14 years ago

Who else could possible appreciate my sense of accomplishment?

My entire family loves Senate Bean Soup, to the point where a ham dinner is more looked forward to for the soup afterward than the ham (we prefer this recipe.)

I wanted to can a bunch up, so here's what I did:

Bake two bone-in shank-portion hams. Cool, then remove/reserve most of the meat, leaving plenty clinging to the bones.

Make stock from the bones, skin, gristly bits of the ham, cooking until the meat on the bones is essentially tasteless, about 4 hours. I also cheat and add a pound of smoky bacon to the stock, since this wasn't a "real" smoked ham- this was Cook's ham, $0.99/lb. on sale. Strain, cool, and chill overnight.

Remove from refrigerator and remove the thick layer of fat from the top of the pot full of 'ham Jello'.

Heat until fully melted and filter, if desired, for a clearer broth. I use old pillowcases, linen napkins, etc. to filter.

Add water, if necessary, no equal approx. 9 to 10 quarts of ham broth. This is pretty rich broth; one good ham bone may be 'hammy' enough for you.

The NCHFP guidelines for soup require approx. 50/50 solids to broth ratio. I used my 10-qt stock pot with measurements on the inside to measure (approximately):

4-5 quarts of soaked and par-cooked (per NCHFP) Great Northern Beans

2-3 quarts cubed ham meat (small cubes)

1 quart of onions, chopped small

1 quart of celery, with leaves, chopped small

about 1/2c of chopped fresh parsley and a palm full of dried

3 peeled and chopped Russet Potatoes (optional) - I thought these might fall apart in canning and approximate the mashed potatoes added in the original recipe. They didn't fall apart, but were still nice in the soup.

Total of 9 quarts of solids.

Add veggies to ham broth, cook until tender. Add cooked beans and ham, bring to a boil for 5 minutes and fill jars and process according to NCHFP's Instructions.

This yielded one full canner load (18 pints) and a second of 9 pints - would have probably been 18, but my stepdaughter stopped by, took one whiff and decided she was starving. So we ate a bunch while the first batch was in the canner, plus we had it again for dinner. I sent some home with SD, too. I got 27 pints, but if I'd canned it all it probably would have been closer to 36.

I just ate the one jar that didn't seal, and it came out mighty close to the original in flavor. We will enjoy this soup immensely, and I hope you will too.

{{gwi:894510}}

Comments (11)