SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahbee01

salsa info

ahbee01
12 years ago

I haven't made salsa in 2 years, I use Annie's Salsa recipe, and have seen that there have been some changes. I always follow the recipe, and want to know if this recipe is still up to date, the most recent recipe I have is from an 09 post,I think!

I haven't been able to can it because of tomato loss 2 years in a row, I did freeze some so I didn't worry about it being canning safe! I am hopeful that this year our maters will make it to be canned, plus I want to share the recipe and I want to make sure I have the correct info. I really love this salsa, as does my entire family, so when I share the recipe, I really make sure that the receiver understand the importance of being canning safe!

Thanks to anyone who can help, I have really missed this board, and canning, everyone always made me feel welcome and have always been patient and helpful! I still consider myself new to canning, and feel I have a lot more to learn.

Thanks again, Brenda

Annie's Salsa Ingredient Checklist:

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained

2-1/2 cups onion, chopped

1-1/2 cups green pepper, chopped

3 - 5 jalapenos, chopped

>Any combination of green, red, whatever color peppers is fine. 3-5 jalapenos equates to roughly 1/4 cup, so total peppers cannot exceed 1-3/4 cups.

6 cloves garlic, minced

>Do not increase. But small differences in size of cloves should not matter.

2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons pepper

2 Tbsp canning salt

>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) fresh cilantro, chopped

>Can be reduced or left out entirely. Do not increase.

1/3 cup sugar

>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1 cup 5% cider vinegar

>Pressure canning is no longer recommended, which specified 1/3 cup vinegar. Must include full 1 cup of vinegar for BWB processing.

However, may substitute bottled lemon or lime juice in any proportions according to taste (for example, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup lime juice). Can use any flavor vinegar (white, cider, etc.) as long as acidity is at least 5%.

2 cups (16 oz.) tomato sauce

>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

2 cups (16 oz.)tomato paste

>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Pour into hot pint jars, seal and process in a hot water canning bath for 15 minutes.

Makes about 6 pints.

>Cannot BWB quarts. If doing half-pints or smaller, process for the pint time of 15 minutes.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert