SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertmarcy

canning tomatoes & spaghetti sauce, using a solar cooker

desertmarcy
16 years ago

I've been reading the threads on canning tomatoes and spaghetti sauce and have a question about increasing the acidity. Can fresh (or frozen) lemon juice be substituted for bottled lemon juice and if so, is it a one-to-one sub? Where is a good place to buy citric acid? I've never purchased it before. Is it better to use citric acid than lemon juice? I have pressure cooked both sliced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce in the past, but never added extra acid. I recently built a solar cooker (good climate for it here in Tucson!) and have read that it can be used instead of a BWB (but not as substitute for pressure cooking). I made 2 quarts of canned peaches the other day. Temp. in the solar cooker was 230 degrees F and the jars sealed nicely. Nice thing about doing it that way is, no heating up the house, no use of electricity, and I can do only one or two jars if I don't have that much produce. I would never use my pressure cooker unless I had a full load! I would like to use the solar cooker for tomatoes next, but want to be sure they are acidic enough. I printed Linda Lou's recipe for BWB spaghetti sauce and may try it in the cooker also.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County