SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Preparing For The Worst

nancyofnc
10 years ago

My intuition tells me that this will be a year with hurricanes and related severe storms inland. I'd like to make my walk-out basement a haven for me, daughter and family, and neighbors here in the far reaches of conventional emergency services = private roads, off the "major (and even minor) habitation areas" = read 50 acres on our hilly farm and low population per square acre relative to the denser populated "most critical density" areas of NC that would get emergency services days before us.
What do you think I should keep down there for safety, security, food supplies, and comfort? We have the normal manually operated radios, (also DH's ham radio operation), spring fed potable stream for fresh water, and lime treated outhouse. I just don't know what food to have available or what to have for sleeping, first aid supplies, or long term entertainment.
If you have gone through this type of emergency - what did you find tart could have made it better, that you missed, that you needed and didn't have?
Nancy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living