SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Thinking about strawberries . . . and rhubarb

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I haven't posted in a long while because I had so much canned stuff left over from two years ago that I haven't hardly done ANY canning for the past year, just tried to use up what I had. Only canned applesauce and cranberry conserve this year. Well, I have FINALLY used up or given away the FOUR batches of strawberry preserves I made the last time I visited the U-pick strawberry farm, so I'm thinking I might try again this year. Most of those batches from the past were not spectacular--good but not "first in show." Strawberries are problematic for me. I know what I DON'T like--the jam made with commercial pectin. The high sugar makes the berries taste too bland, IMHO. Not going to do freezer jam only because I like to give jam as gifts and will probably be moving and selling my freezer this year.

I tried strawberry rhubarb jam without pectin and it just ended up sauce. Extremely yummy sauce, but sauce. I tried the old fashioned style preserves where you let the strawberries sit in sugar overnight. That turned out like sauce too, and the strawberries got dehydrated--they shrunk and gave up all their juices to the sauce. So the preserves have tiny strawberries in them with the consistency of raisins. Not bad tasting but not juicy like the strawberry rhubarb sauce. I don't know why the strawberries did that, but they did.

So this year I would like to try again with a strawberry rhubarb jam, but I don't know what recipe to use. I'm also going to try again with the strawberry preserves. And maybe this low sugar recipe I have using apples for pectin.

Any other ideas/recipes that you have that are foolproof for you? Yes, I know, Pomona pectin. We'll see if I get around to finding/buying it.

Any other tried and true strawberry jam favorites?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm