SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Areca Palms for privacy hedge?

SaintPFLA
12 years ago

Does anyone have any experience using Areca Palms for privacy hedging?

As you may recall, I'm still researching plants for screening out my neighbor's two-story garage which looks into my backyard making me feel like I'm in a fishbowl. I'd like to keep a more tropical theme and include a replacement orange tree for the one that died.

I've been reading that Arecas can serve well as a privacy hedge.

I have not ruled out bamboo completely, just leaning more towards the palm trees at the moment.

Any reasons I wouldn't want to plant Arecas?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (28)

• annafl
    12 years ago

I have three together in two different areas of my yard for the same purpose. One in full sun, the other in almost full shade. They were planted five years ago at 6-7 feet and are now about 12 feet tall. The ones in full sun are very thick, but keep a little yellow tinge, the ones in full shade are green, but on the thin side. I am on the fence about them. They had a rough last couple of winters and got bitten back quite a bit- lots of brown-tipped fronds that we've been looking at for a long time till they can be cut off without damaging the palms. I also find them to be rather messy, involving picking up fronds a couple of times a week. Kind of mixed review here. They do provide good screening- especially if they get enough sun. For me, a faster growing, less needy screener has been fishtail palm. Occassional yellowing fronds. Grows into a thick, green clump. I also love arenga palms. Thick, green and only occassional removal of a frond. They aren't as easy to find around here though. Bamboo is also pretty low maintenance if it is a clumping type, but some do lose a lot of leaves or get yellowing in the winter (depends on type). Another idea is weeping podocarpus. Nice and green all the time, but can get to be a large tree. Japanese fern tree is beautiful, dense and tropical looking, but grows slowly. All have pros and cons, don't they? All can be nice, though. Good luck!

Anna

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Friends don't let friends plant areca palms. I moved into a house once that had a 25' or so length of areca palm screening that was many years old. OMG - what a mess. Hated the stuff with a passion. Never could get rid of it all.

~dianne

• Related Discussions

privacy hedge,quick grow,nontoxic to horses?

Q

Comments (12)
    We have a row of sea grapes planted for their quick growth and ability to provide privacy. I have no complaints, but I do not mind a natural look. When it gets very very cold they do drop some leaves and thin out a little. We leave the leaves where they lie and let them naturally degrade and add compost and nutrients to the soil. The fallen leaves act as a very effective mulch against weeds. When they are in bloom so to speak they do drop grapes. However, we have a relatively micro tiny yard (hence the need for privacy) and none of that has bothered me. No matter how drastically I prune them back, they take it well. I have found them to be robust, tolerant, pest resistant, and highly effective for privacy. If you can prove to your satisfaction that the plants themselves and the grapes are not toxic to your animals (and as far as I know the grapes can even be used by humans to make jelly) I would highly recommend them.
    ...See More

Privacy Hedge?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a mixed hedge of various plants on the dividing property line and can suggest one that has been outstanding: elderberry. It is a native, the flowers are attractive (no smell) and the berries can support birds or make elderberry wine or jam :-). What is especially nice in my small yard is that it doesn't get wide like many shrubs. Some of mine are now 9-10' tall and are a very good screen. At the base I have some smaller plants for color like pentas. Also in the hedge are clumping bamboos, jatropha and Christmas cassia but none of those are 'hedge-like". Denise I have a photo but no time to upload it and post. Maybe later.
    ...See More

Trimming Areca Palms

Q

Comments (3)
    Palms only grow from a terminal growing point. If you cut it off, the plant dies period. You could get away with removing a few of the lower fronds if they are in the way (but you have to be careful and not overdo it as this too can set it into a decline). If you want something shorter, consult some local experts to suggest some shorter growing.
    ...See More

Areca Palm Planting Advice

Q

Comments (7)
    what state are you in? Must be east coast or Arizona (or maybe northern Cal) since we don't get summer rains in southern California. Where you are will factor in on how you plant these plants, since zone 9b is a marginal zone for this species. A bad freeze could kill them all off overnight. If you live in Florida, you might someday get the hedge you wanted with Areca palms (Dypsis lutescens)... may take 6 years to a decade. Would take several decades, if ever, if you live in California. Would only take about 4-5 years in Hawaii, but no zone 9b in Hawaii that I am aware of (maybe a mountain top?). Frankly, there are few palms that make good screens unless you live in a tropical climate, at least in any decent number of years. But most palms grow a lot faster on east coast than west, so if you live there, might have better luck that I would. Rhapis or Chamaerops might be a better choice. If I were going to be creating a screen with Areca palms, I would be planting them a foot or so apart at the most, and even then would not expect a good visual screen for some 10-20 years. Unless of course you are rich or have a source for dozens of 20 gal areca palms for cheap. Water well and fertilize often, particularly if you live in sandy soil (fertlize with a water based, or a slow release granular, but caution on the amount of slow release since fertilizer burn can be a big problem in palms). What is post planting?
    ...See More
  • fawnridge (Ricky)
    12 years ago

They make a great privacy hedge, but be prepared for some maintenance. If you cut the inflorescence before they go to seed and pick up the dead fronds, it's not bad.

• dirtygardener73
    12 years ago

My areca froze nearly to death year before last. Once they get really thick, it's he!! cutting out all those dead canes when a freeze hits them, plus it takes them a long time to come back. Yeah, the dead fronds that are constantly falling off deep inside the plant are a pain too. Plus, fire ants love them.

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm.....sounds like it's a 'mixed bag' with the maintenance and the seeds.

What makes them so attractive to ants? That's a major negative right there.

I like how the palms grow in clusters and form a screen like view and that you can trim the lower part of the palm and keep it some what neat. Plus, they seem to be a pretty palm too.

Do they creep like running bamboo does or stay in one place?

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lizzardly: how tall are yours? I'm looking for something that will grow over 15ft.

Like you, I don't mind the more 'natural look'. I don't need golf course manicured....nor, do I have the time to maintain that.

That same area currently has SkyVine, while beautiful --is high maintenance due to it's speedy growth habit and it's love of climbing everything.

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Full sun today - tough for photos.

6 year in the ground areca (from 1 gallon pots) - 4 foot chain link fence

{{gwi:890056}}

30+ year areca - has controlled new growth in center. I clean it up a couple times a year and select which canes I want to let grow. This was originally planted against the house and was moved 8 years ago - has doubled in height since then

{{gwi:890057}}

Other ideas...

Jatropha interrigima - 6 foot privacy fence in background

{{gwi:890059}}

Fiddlewood in foreground - surprised the heck out me. Has tripled in size past two years. Again, 4 foot chain link. Behind it is a white Bird of Paradise that had been cut to the ground other than three canes 3 or 4 years ago (neighbor's plant)

{{gwi:890061}}

Hope this helps.

• susieq07
    12 years ago

Areca's do not like cold or freeze...2 palms that grow 20 to 25' and spread 10' or more and grow in zones 7 to 10 or 11, require little care except to lop off brown, dead fronds, would be the Mediterranean fan palm (which I have) and it's huge! or the Chinese fan palm a couple of those, spaced 8/10' apart will create a fence you will not see threw in a short time as they grow fast...

• annafl
    12 years ago

Other ideas if you want a ready-made screen is a trio of cabbage palms staggered. They require once yearly maintenance- or you can even skip every other year if the dried parts don't bother you too much- from a tree person but are otherwise a sure bet, and will definitely do well... they are native. They take up little space at the bottom, which I think might be a concern for you? Another idea is mirror-leaf viburnum. I have some that are about 12 feet tall and are real pretty and tropical looking. Let grow in their natural shape they are pretty and have nice berries adored by birds. They do well and are maintenance free- completely in my yard- and are cold hardy here. I don't know if they get any taller, though. These are about 5 years old.

Anna

• sumognat
    12 years ago

Previous owners of our house planted a stand of areca palms along two sides of our backyard, and I don't think it's wise to use it in this way. Both sides contracted ganoderma butt rot (google it) before we even moved in and knew what it was. It is a soil bacteria that arecas are very prone to contract and if they do contract it, you will not be able to grow any palms in that soil since you can't get rid of it once it's there (the bacteria eats away at the woody trunk of palms and enters through the roots--young palms will live but die as soon as they start trunking). Growing a clump here or there should be fine, but I would be very hesitant about pruning it too much since they are so very prone to this disease. Rats love living in them, too. :)

I don't like bamboo either, and I would only plant it if I didn't have to clean up after it, worry about it shedding leaves in my pool, and didn't care much for my neighbors who prefer their lawns free of such stuff. I find it too be too messy--my neighbor has a clump next to my driveway. :Sorry, I can't help much on the "tropical" look, but I am loving my Simpson Stopper hedge--it's a native, smells like spearmint when in bloom, and birds love eating its berries and nesting in it. It's moderately fast growing down here and is easy to maintain.

I have seen fishtail palms used as screening and they look nice but definitely get thick. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

• fl_southpaw
    12 years ago

Hi:
    One option you might consider is Italian cypress. They grow quickly when young and then slow down. You never have to prune or trim them. They are maintenance free, have a nice pine scent when you brush them. Individual trees about two feet tall can be bought at HD or Lowes for about $12.

Just a thought. I have a "hedge" of them I planted and they do fine here in West Palm Beach. They aren't "tropical" but they are very elegant.

I like the fiddlewood idea mentioned, too. Very nice plant. Native and smells nice.

Julie in WPB

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

Just a small correction:
    Ganoderma Butt Rot is actually a fungus.

Ganoderma Butt Rot of Palms
    Monica L. Elliott and Timothy K. Broschat

Summary
    Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.
    All palms are considered hosts of this fungus. This fungus is not a primary pathogen of any other plant species.
    Symptoms may include wilting (mild to severe) or a general decline. The disease is confirmed by observing the basidiocarp (conk) on the trunk. This is a hard, shelf-like structure that will be attached to the lower 4-5 feet of the palm trunk. However, not all diseased palms produce conks prior to death.
    A palm cannot be diagnosed with Ganoderma butt rot until the basidiocarp (conk) forms on the trunk, or the internal rotting of the trunk is observed after the palm is cut down.
    The fungus is spread by spores, which are produced and released from the basidiocarp (conk).
    Conditions that are conducive for disease development are unknown.
    There are currently no cultural or chemical controls for preventing the disease or for curing the disease once the palm is infected.
    A palm should be removed as soon as possible after the conks appear on the trunk. Remove as much of the stump and root system as possible when the palm is removed.
    Because the fungus survives in the soil, planting another palm back in that same location is not recommended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ganoderma Butt Rot of Palms

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow!!! Thanks for the great ideas!!! And - the pics too!

Ladywinger: great pics - thanks so much! really helps me to get an idea of growth habit and what they look like. Do they grow canes similar to bamboo? That's my only concern as it's a small space that I have to place this.

I like the Jatropha interrigima idea as well. I liked your Areca palms a lot. I like the clumps of palms.

I don't know much about Simpson Stopper but did look at it at Lowes today, in fact. Isn't it a tree? I'll add that to the research further list.

What do you all think of several White Bird of Paradise mixed with a palm or two?

I need to research the Chinese Fan palm a little more as well.

Here's the space that I want to hide. As you can see, my neighbor's house looks right into my yard. :(

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

Glad the photos helped a bit.

The arecas are cane-like, just much heavier than bamboo. And it does grow in a clump, ever widening in diameter.

The white bird is only one plant (another 30+ years old one) and I don't know how long it would take to get that wide base.

The jatropha does get thin in the winter, loses quite a few leaves, but not all of them.

The stopper is on the left, senna on the right, of the grass path. Leaves smell good, the spring blooms are white and you either like the scent or hate it. Kind of reminds me of industrial bathroom deodorizer. Will get orange berries in the late summer/fall.

{{gwi:817089}}

This was a couple years ago and the only photo I have handy at the moment. Is about 5-6 feet tall now, not a real fast grower in height, does send shoots out at the base so in my experience it wants to be wider.

Did you get the stumpf removed that I see in the pic? wasn't it an old citrus? The palms have a very intense network of just below surface roots (LOTS of fine, webby roots) that extend beyond the canopy.

• junglegal
    12 years ago

Wamin bamboo would be perfect in that spot. it's very dense, stays about 15' and is a tight clumber. Arecas would be a fine choice too. They do get ratted out in our winters though so be prepared to have to cut some dead out yearly.
    Livistona chinensis (Chinese fan palms) are very slow growers.

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not removed the dead citrus stump YET. I'm letting it die off while I decide what to replant. Then, I will dig it up. Totally dreading that...

I figure, my back may appreciate digging up a decaying stump vs. a fresh cut stump. ;)

If I were to plant Arecas, are they at risk of growing UNDER the fence line? Is it easy to control or will it run away?

I had a VERY bad experience with RUNNING Bamboo once. It was miss-marked in several DayLily containers that I had brought home and planted. Yes -- imagine my surprise!....

What a nightmare to remove...pick-axe...pitchfork...and an axe...plus two shovels. And of course, it grew all under the fence and was on the way into the neighbor's yard!

My neighbor has been rehabbing for two months and JUST moved in this weekend. He's a young musician. I expect lots of parties and loudness next door, so need to figure out what to plant in order to keep my sanity.

Personally, I much rather hear the birds and the frogs chirping at night. It's not that I'm anti-music..but, that's why they invented iPods w/earbuds....

• ladywingr
    12 years ago

I planted the areca about 6 feet out from the fence. It truly clumps rather than runs.

Good luck with the musician. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll be a considerate neighbor.

• junglegal
    12 years ago

Arecas behave here. No worries. I would suggest buying as large of a specimen as you can afford. It will take several years to get tall enough for the privacy you need now.
    Every winter you will likely have to cut it back due to cold. They are pretty wimpy but recover quickly.
    Another suggestion would be a fishtail palm (caryotis mitis)
    Mine grew fast and took the last couple of winters better than the dypsis lutescens (areca)

• sumognat
    12 years ago

Hmm...now that you've shown a picture of the area, one clump of areca palm might work well. I was thinking you were planning to plant 4-6 in a row. :)

I would suggest planting the one areca palm clump and keeping it a manageable size of about 6-8 mature palm trunks.

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

Our arecas are of varied height but the tallest is probably 15-16 feet. Ours are in a very shady area under the much taller and wider canopy of an oak tree so I think that has probably slowed their growth some. We haven't had much problem with the colder winters for the last couple of seasons. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they are againt the rear wall of the house and under the oak.

Hope that helps.

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!!! This was really very helpful! I think I can make a decision.

I'm leaning more towards Areca because of the clumping and variance in the height. I'd like to combine it with something else, like White Bird of Paradise or with similar foliage.

I think I may still have room for a citrus tree as well.

Thanks so much!

• Tom Petroski
    8 years ago

It's been 4 years and 3 months. Are you still happy with your choice?

• Beverly Franklin Howard
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

While searching for info on Areca seeds, I ran across these posts. Very interesting. I have one that the previous home owner had left in a whiskey barrel. It was about 3 foot tall, so I thought it would look okay in a round planter in the patio. Little did I know.....its taller than the house and I absolutely love it!

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    8 years ago

Couldn't help but comment, even tho it's probably way too late. I bought my mobile home 7 yrs ago. Along the outside screened wall of my lanai ( my favorite place to read, relax ) was a scraggly looking one ft tall, unattened-to strip of wimpy areca palms. Not knowing any better I gave them lots of TLC and now I have a dense 20 ft long mess of a fast growing, dense, strong hedge.

They are now a healthy 9 ft tall jungle that is threatening to lift up the 9 ft high metal roof and tear the screens to shreds unless I vigorously top them off and thin them out 4x a year ! So have just begun the arduous task to cutting them all down, ( have the loppers, long handled choppers and chain saw ready ) and then digging up the roots and discarding the whole mess to Waste Management. Am a one man operation, over 70, so will take it slow, one day at a time. Am hoping in 4 weeks it'll be complete. Am now considering a medium growing red-tipped cocoplum hedge that will be a breeze keeping it at 7 - 7 1/2 ft tall.

My advise, be very careful before planting any arecas !!! ( smile )

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

My very large areca palm froze one year, and it had to be cut completely down to the ground and allowed to grow back. Last time I saw it, it was only about 4 feet tall. The people who bought my house aren't taking care of it at all.

• uptownhomes50
    5 years ago

We have a home in Marco Island and the whole backyard is enclosed with areca palms planted 40 years ago and feels like an oasis now that full grown. We have seen rats in them from time to time but also because there is a mango tree nearby. We find if we clear out the palms that are bunched up,the rats leave for a new habitat. We placed hand painted parrots in the palms and looks like the Amazon, I love bamboo also but the palms sway in the breeze and are lusher.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Been there, - done that,..believe me !!!

Planting areca palms away from your home is fine,..like on the property's border,...no problema ! Plant 'em up next to your home, you are now dealing with THE PLANTS FROM HELL !!

Case closed ! :o)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting