SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gatorheel

Areca Palm Planting Advice

Matt
10 years ago

My property borders a commercial strip, and I recently cut back a natural area to build a fence (had to pen in the two year old sooner rather than later!). Unfortunately, this opened up some sight lines, and after some research I think that an areca palm hedge is a good fit for density, growth speed, and cost. I need to fill about 80 feet of fenceline, so cost is a key concern. We already have an areca palm "hedge" between us and our residential neighbor, so I'm confident that I like the look, the maintenance is acceptable, and it's likely well suited to our climate area.

I've read the UF/IFAS and other guides, and there is varying advice on planting and care. I've read that individual bundles should be planted anywhere from 3 to 10 feet apart. I lean towards closer since I want the line to be as dense as possible-- any advise here? I have plenty of depth from the fence, so I could stagger if necessary.

The soil is very sandy, but as ex-natural area it should be relatively rich. Do I need to do any pre-planting fertilization to aid establishment? How about post-planting? Fluoride-free watering comes up some and although we have rain barrels I definitely don't have enough for 80 feet of hedge-- advice of watering? We're still in summer rains, so hopefully that's enough.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm