SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saturn333

Drooping frawns

saturn333
2 months ago

This palour palm I have had for twelve years. not sure if the frawns are supposed to droop or is it a sign of something it needs.Watering is generally when it dries out weekly and is in indirect sun most of the day. Just afraid of fraws breaking if they droop.

saturn

Comments (10)

• woodrose
    2 months ago

I'm not sure if palm fronds should droop like that, or not. If you've had it for twelve years and they've never drooped before, then I'd say no. I would give it a good soaking and see if that helps. It could be it's just under watered. Do you mist it a few times a week? You must be doing something right to keep it alive this long. How long has it been since it was repotted?

saturn333 thanked woodrose
  • saturn333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I think the fronds started drooping as it got bigger. it has not been repotted in many years currently in a 8”x8” pot.

• saturn333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I think from what I have read to not to go to much bigger with re- potting. Maybe 10 X 10 mixed soil and Perlite will help?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

once a year.. the oldest set of fronds should be pruned off.. if you dont.. wait for it.. they start the decline and bend ...

it is hard to believe.. you have never cut any off ...

look to the center.. or newest ones.. to tell how the plant is doing

if it maintains water for a week.. i might suggest it does not need repotting ...

nor do old fronds need fert ...

i cant tell if its off color.. or if its just a camera trick making it look a little off color .. sunshine on only half of the plant ....

ken

saturn333 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • saturn333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Some fronds do turn yellow and I have cut them off. As far a light it gets filtered light most of the day although I have heard it only needs filtered light. use a water meter and is usually dry within a week. Havent repotted in many years, just wondering if it is a normal thing for a palour palm fronds to droop. sometimes afraid fronds might snap off from drooping

saturn

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Well, you can check to see if it does need repotting. Gently tip the pot and pull out the mass. If it tugs out as a solid root mass, repot bigger. If there is still plenty of dirt between the root and pot confines, it should be OK so far as soil needs. If it comes out with a bunch of loose dirt, and space in the pot for the roots.. you can go ahead and refresh the soil and keep it in the same pot.

saturn333 thanked beesneeds
  • saturn333
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you I will do that even though it is 12 years old not sure if it needs a bigger pot curently in an 8x 8 pot because the plant to me seems like three separate plants. so maybe the individual root mass isnt all that big.

saturn

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Three plants, but growing together for years. Treat it as one plant mass. The roots are likely grown together and may not appreciate getting spaced out. So yeah, check the mass.

saturn333 thanked beesneeds
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    last month
    last modified: last month

Did you check for spider mites? Not great color on those fronds. Maybe it just needs some fert.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting