SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cabrita_gw

Marmalade (mixed citrus)

cabrita
15 years ago

My partner and I made marmalade this past weekend. We made it from our own citrus fruit, from several trees we have. I am posting it because it came out very well, and I would have liked to find a recipe for a LARGE quantity of marmalade when I first started making it. Sometimes scaling up a recipe is difficult and does not give the desired results. We used the pectin from the fruit itself (using the pips) so the only item we had to buy was the sugar. We found that by mixing the different citrus we got what was desirable from each one (rinds but not from grapefruits, and only the Meyers lemon had a good amount of pips!)

Marmalade (mixed citrus)

Ingredients:

Frozen chunks from grapefruits and Minneolas (about 6 quarts) (this is optional and I used it to free up space in the freezer. The marmalade can be made entirely from fresh fruit - we did last year)

Rind cut from:

12 meyers lemons

8 minneolas

10 oranges

Juice from above citrus, plus juice from 4 Eureka lemons.

Juice from as many oranges as needed to make up 12 quarts total volume.

Citrus pips (I used a quart bag) that you gather from juicing the citrus.

10 lbs cane sugar

Preparation:

Start heating the frozen citrus in a VERY large pot. I use one that has handy quart markers on the sides. With very sharp knife, carefully peel rind from chosen well washed citrus (chose the ones with the least blemished skins) . Leave fruit intact (you will be juicing it). Slice rinds to make thin slivers. Try to get as little of the white pith as possible in the rind slivers.

Juice all citrus used for rind and add to heating citrus chunks. Collect all the pips you have and place inside a closed mesh bag. When all is thawed and soft, use an immersion blender and blend so it I smooth. Add pips in mesh bag to boiling pot with citrus. Add the slivered rinds and continue to heat. Add enough citrus juice (orange) to make 12 quarts. Boil this mix down to 10 quarts. Take pot off the stove and let it sit overnight. Leave the bag with the pips overnight.

The next day, squeeze the bag with the pips. You should get a milky white thick liquid coming out. This is the pectin. Take bag with pips out of pot and start heating again. Add 10 lbs of sugar. This will push the volume to 10 or 12 quarts. Now it is cook down time. Stirring constantly, boil this liquid down to about 65-70% of original volume. You can also cool down a little plate in the freezer, add some of the marmalade, refrigerate and check if it has gelled.

Once your marmalade gels, it is time to sterilize jars and fill them. Pressure can (a little vinegar in the water to prevent spots) for 15 minutes at 5-6 psi (I live at 1300 feet). I know, this is a little overkill but wed rather be safe.

This made a total of 15 pints, of which one was refrigerated right away and the remaining 14 were pressure canned.

The marmalade 'set' right away, it is very solid but nicely spreadable.

Here are the fruit we used, we have minneolas (dark orange) Meyers (front) and a mix of grapefruit and juice oranges. There are also some large Eureka lemons in the minneola basket.

Here are some slivered citrus skins

I will post pictures of the actual marmalade jars or marmalade 'in action' in a later post - we got so busy eating it and forgot to take pictures ...LOL.

Comments (12)