SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracesantacruz_gw

Older container citrus transplanted to gritty mix

gracesantacruz
12 years ago

As posted last week, I not only used the gritty mix for the new St. Teresa Lemon tree, but I transplanted 2 older trees. We are blessed with a very mild climate here on the central California coast - it rarely gets above 80F and we have fog in the summer mornings. I believe this is very easy on the trees when barerooting and transplanting.

This Meyer lemon I rescued from being planted in my front yard about 8 years ago- I over-watered and it suffered from root rot and almost died, but I nursed it back to health in a container on my sunny patio. It's produced large amounts of lemons used many times for tasty marmalade. The leaves were yellowish this year, so I transplanted 2 months ago into fresh potting soil - it had gone the 8 years with simple soil amendments. It just started to push out new blossoms. I barerooted it last week into the gritty mix I read about here. There are no issues after a week. Some of my other older trees are in the background - I may change the soil in those if I am satisfied with the gritty mix results.

{{gwi:40757}}

This Valencia orange tree (below) produced a large crop year before last - the fruit hangs forever on it, and it still has 3 fruits from that mega-crop. I hadn't changed the soil since 2003. It was totally rootbound. I barerooted it, removed the outer root parts and a few inner woody roots, and flushed out all the old soil with a water jet and hands. It has new fruits and new leaves pushing out - the leaves are yellowish, hence I wanted to change the soil and fertilize. After 1 week, there is no sign of stress. We've had 75F sunny days, morning fog, and a freak June rainstorm (for us) that dumped 2.5" this last week. The mix seems to let water wick down into the wooden roller stand, keeping it damp - not sure if this is good or bad.

{{gwi:603538}}

I've got 1 older Persian lime and 2 Meyer's (shrub-like) left to change the soil - I've had these 13 years.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional