SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Getting Conflicting Advice Re Spaghetti Sauce

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

Hi all. I am very new to canning having only made pickles sofar (and two failed jams!). However, I know someone who has been canning for approx. 30 years. This person has told me that I can make my own spaghetti sauce from my garden tomatoes and can it safely in just a water bath canner. She does say that she would never use meat, but that she buys tomatoes from a local farm in bulk and makes quarts and quarts of sauce every year with peppers and onions, herbs, garlic, etc. and has never used a pressure canner, does not add lemon juice or other acid, and has never had a problem.

I'm pretty much a chicken and am terrified I'm going to poison the whole family, so I plan on canning my tomatoes plain with the added lemon juice. I only have a water bath canning setup. I've read some of the other threads on this subject and understand more - I wouldn't have even thought about the "density" of the specific tomatoes I was using for example. But if you heated the jars of sauce long enough, wouldn't that "sterilize" them? Everything is cooked to begin with and the jars are sterilized beforehand as well. If you're putting "boiled" sauce into sterilized jars, then boiling them again, wouldn't that take care of any problems?

I do have the Ball Blue Book, but I guess I just don't fully understand the process yet.

Lisa

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath