SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scatmanrav

Canning low acid spaghetti sauce

scatmanrav
15 years ago

Im getting into canning but ive used a pressure cooker before. I made spaghetti sauce without following any guidelines, a little oil in it, lots of veggies (blended up in the end) and no meat. A little acid was added just for taste (vinagers, lemon juice, wine). I thought that I could just can it until coming across this forum, now I'm not sure it will be safe. There wasnt much oil, just enough to saute the veggies..

Im confused though, why can we pressure can some low acid tomato products, and other low acid foods like chicken broth (another thing I plan to can) but we have to worry so much about what goes into spaghetti sauce? I could pressure can a hunk of meat and it would last but not some pureed veggies? Maybe that referred to hot water bath canning, which of course isnt as safe but if I use a P.C.?

I understand with the varied thickness of the sauce the PC time can change, but will it hurt to pressure cook it for to long? Couldnt I just do it for 30-60 minutes and then everything would be safe.

I know I can freeze it, I'm trying to save freezer space. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)