SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flutterbyca

Canning Spaghetti Sauce

flutterbyca
16 years ago

I've read and read, and I understand about acid and low-acid, but I still can't figure out what I can and cannot do to can spaghetti sauce. I've got the USDA approved recipes, but they aren't what I want. I don't eat mushrooms or green peppers, I don't want to use celery, and I can't imagine putting in brown sugar. So I can't use their recipe.

I have seen the recipe for Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce, which is more like what I normally use for spaghetti sauce except that I use less garlic and more onion. Another problem is that I want to use canned tomato sauce from the grocery store rather than fresh tomatoes and I don't know how to figure how much tomato sauce to use (but I'm sure I could work it out eventually).

I just feel like there must be a way I can adapt my spaghetti sauce recipe for canning. The USDA approved recipes can't possibly be the only way to can spaghetti sauce.

So my questions for those of you who know more than me are: If I make the Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce, can I use onion powder rather than fresh onions without messing up the acid balance? I'd also want to reduce the garlic. What problems might that cause?

I read in the Canning for Dummies book that you could test your recipe with litmus paper to determine the acidity. Do you think that would really work?

Anyway, I'm getting really frustrated and disappointed because I really want to put my spaghetti sauce in jars to make it easier when I suddenly crave spaghetti for lunch. Am I being unrealistic do you think, or could I tweak the Basil Garlic Tomato Sauce to make it what I want?

Thanks for your input.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio