SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Cleaning/seasoning enameled cast iron?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

OK, maybe this is more of a Cooking forum question but I know more people here. I bought a small Wolfgang Puck enameled cast iron Dutch oven at Goodwill, thought I cleaned it really well, preheated it in 450 oven to bake no-knead bread, it was smoking (oil?) and brown, sticky, put the oiled bread dough in, it stuck. Got it out after cooling a bit but the pan's really yucky on the bottom. I tried some "pot scrub" (blue stuff like Bar Keeper's Friend but coarser), not doing much. I don't have SOS. Tried boiling some water in it, then scrubbing with green Scotchbrite, got most of it off. Repeating now.

But are you supposed to season enameled CI? There is some crazing, but enamel looks intact. Esp. with preheating this for baking, looking for way to clean it so it won't smoke. Maybe I didn't get all the oil off from the last boule (I can't remember if I'd used it before this - didn't think so, and really thought I'd cleaned it well after I bought it, it looked clean when I took it out of drawer last night)? Maybe instead of proofing the dough in an oiled bowl I should flour it instead? Or will that make more of a mess? Don't have this problem with my Corningware. Though the CI would give me crisper crust.

The bread did turn out well - I haven't cut into it but it had nice oven spring, did have to brown it a bit after getting it out of the pot.

Comments (10)