SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sosusie

Linda Lou-Where to buy 15lb Presto Weight Set?

sosusie
16 years ago

Linda Lou, or anyone, could you please tell me where to buy the 15 pound three piece weight set to replace the counterweight -thereby converting my Presto dial gauge canner to a weighted gauge canner? It's really hard to get those gauges tested, especially in the winter.

I read the post copied below, and excitedly called Presto today and tried to order it. After giving my model 0178005, Liz in customer service said there was no such thing for dial gauge canners. They are dial gauge only bedause they don't want us to leave the room while canning(?!). She went on, asked where I got this idea, who were they and who did they talk to!!!!!! I explained politely as best as I could, knowing that my information was solid, and asked her to please check into it. She said she didn't have anywhere to check!

Without going into further details let's just say I was shocked, and felt accused of unsafe canning! Sorry for venting my frustrataion....but I'd really like to have the weight set......and "enlighten" this Liz :)

SOS

Copied from LL's post on Tuesday Jan. 22, 2008:

"Yes, Reg, I am an "extension person". I am trained and answer food safety/presrvation questions at my local extension office.

Marti, the counterweight should not rock at 11 lb. of pressure. I am thinking the gauge is bad. It should rock at 15 lb. What the dial gauge canners have is called a "counterweight". It is used to allow the pressure to build and to hold it in the canner. It is not the same as the regular weight set you can order from Presto. You can order the set, then use the 10 lb. or 15 lb., depending upon your altitude. You use it as a weighted gauge canner instead of using the dial. It is fine to convert it over. I checked with both Elizabeth Andress, the lady who wrote the USDA guides, from University of Georgia, plus contacted Presto twice, as well.

I just got my set recently and will use them, even though I can test my own gauges.

It is getting harder to do the testing due to liability. We have to have people sign waivers saying they will not hold us responsible. We are only able to still test because we have permission from the State Attorney General. Some states don't test any longer.

Marti, I am assuming by your post that you have the dial gague canner with both the dial and the counterweight. I know Presto makes a new weighted gauge one, that you buy at Walmart. It is either 16 or 18 quart sized, I don't remember which."

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz