SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zabby17

Thinkin' of Canning Some Clementines

zabby17
14 years ago

So, I've read over some old posts on canning citrus and I see no reason I shouldn't just peel & devein & break them into sections, cook briefly in a very light syrup (they are so sweet to begin with!), and can 15 min in BWB?

Bejay, or any of your citrus-blessed experts want to comment or chime in with advice before the weekend?

I'm determined to take at least one day off working this weekend, for the first time in forever. And we got a box of clementines the other day that are turning out to be real winners --- very sweet and tasty, easy to peel, and totally seedless. I was thinkin' of going back to that store to get another couple of boxes and can some for breaking out this summer.

My very first canning project ever was clementines, because it was winter and I love them so. I researched in dozens of books and found a highly complex recipe for canning them. I sought out the rare ingredients (fancy liqueurs! whole allspice berries!) and dutifully followed the zillion steps (it involved gingerly fishing out of hot syrup, and finding room in the fridge for huge bowls to sit overnight).

It was all spicy and boozy, neither of which is how I like my fruit. And, after three days of work and several scaldings (this was my first canning, so I was using forks and hot-dog tongs as a jar lifter and a dishtowel as a jar-bottom rack), I had a dozen messy jars of broken-up, half-disintegrated (from all the manipulating), spiced, boozy clementines.... that tasted terrible, at least to me. (First lesson in canning: if you don't like what goes in, you probably won't like what comes out!)

I almost gave up on the whole concept of canning. Luckily, I was inspired by some lovely folks on this forum and didn't give up; subsequent efforts were much more successful!

But I think I'm ready to give the citrus another try. All I'd really wanted was some clementines that tasted like, well, clementines. Of course we never get them really fresh here in the True North, but they're at their best in midwinter and I'd like to open some in midsummer to mix into fruit salads (though that's not AS crucial as having peaches and pears and applesauce to open in midwinter!).

Z

Comments (13)