SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladykitsu

Canning recipes - substitutions?

ladykitsu
16 years ago

Hey ya'll

I figured I'd get an early start this year on my stupid canning questions, so I'd be prepared when "THE" season came around.

I remember when reading about Annies salsa that so long as you didn't change the *quantity* of stuff, you could make substitutions in the recipe. We had been talking about peppers specifically at the time though, so it was still a pepper for pepper.

The reason I was asking, is that this will be my first year canning with a pressure canner...last year it was all simple tomato sauces. My husband LOVES pasta sauce. Big chunky stuff filled with olives, mushrooms and whatever.

So, the actual question...I can't find a recipe yet that he likes, however I've found some that are close. Close, if I can make substitutions. If the recipe called for celery, could I change it to something like olives or mushrooms and still be OK.

For each recipe I've found that's close, I wouldn't be needing to change much, it would be 1 -2 changes (not like half the stuff in the recipe got changed).

Thanks again!

Laura

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio