SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlsixx_gw

Substituting Frozen Green Chile for Canned in Chili Recipe

grlsixx
11 years ago

Hi all, Happy New Year. I would like to try the White Chili recipe posted by Carol back in 2011 (recipe below). I have home roasted, diced, frozen Hatch chiles that I would like to substitute for the can of chiles in the recipe. Can I do that safely? Any idea how much to use by weight? Any suggestions you have are useful. I love the flavor of the Hatch chiles, and I already have them on hand, so would like to use them.
Thanks!
Heather

Posted by readinglady z8 OR (My Page) on Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 13:07

This recipe comes from Canning and Preserving for Dummies. Recipes in that book comply with current USDA/NCHFP standards. I did add instructions for wait time, which were not included in the individual recipe. Also, the recommendation to boil opened contents for 10 minutes is, from my perspective, excessively cautious. It does no harm, but properly canned low-acid product does not require anything beyond being well-heated.
White Chili

Yield: About 5 pints

1 pound small white beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
7-ounce can diced green chilies
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
4 cups diced, cooked chicken

1. Combine all ingredients except chicken in a 6-to 8-quart pot. Bring ingredients to a boil over high heat; reduce heat a simmer, covered, until the beans are soft but don't disintegrate, about 30 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes longer.

2. While the chili is simmering, prepare your canning jars and two-piece caps according to the manufacturer's instructions. Keep the jars and lids hot.

3. Ladle the hot chili into the prepared jars, leaving 1 inch of headspace. Wipe the jar rims; seal the jars with the two-piece caps, hand-tightening the bands. Process filled jars at 10 pound for 1 hour and 15 minutes (pints), 1 hour and 30 minutes (quarts).

4. After the pressure in the canner has returned to 0, remove weight and wait 10 minutes. Open the canner and remove hot jars. Place on a clean kitchen towel or layered newsprint away from drafts. After the jars cool completely, test the seals. (Unsealed jars should be immediately refrigerated; use within one week.)

5. Before tasting or eating, boil the contents of each jar for 10 minutes. Serve garnished with shredded cheese, diced red bell pepper, onions, etc.

From Canning and Preserving for Dummies, 2003.

Carol

Comments (5)