SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesky7_gw

A Little Off Topic

bluesky7
13 years ago

Hi Everyone. I have never seen mockingbirds so aggressive as they were yesterday! It was almost like a scene out of the old classic, 'The Birds.' Here I am outside in the backyard checking my blueberries and okra when I get hit on the back by none other than a mockingbird. And it didn't stop there. The angry bird attempted to fly at me again. Then I saw the mate. I ran for the garden hose and this seemed to discourage him/her. But not for long. I then grabbed a mop which I would have used to defend myself if necessary. It almost seems comical! Now I realize there's probably a nest nearby. I even hear the little chirps from the baby bird from time to time. And I know these birds attack cats and dogs frequently while raising their babies, but to be so aggressive toward humans? Have any of you guys experienced this sort of attack from a mockingbird, our State Bird?! They raise little ones from late winter to mid summer around here and it's the first time I've ever experienced a direct attack from mockingbirds. How can this behavior be discouraged? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sheri

Comments (18)