SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tapiocabug

Bees? Yellow jackets? Confused...

tapiocabug
11 years ago

Hello,

I have a number of plants and trees in pots in my backyard, including an approx. 7 foot tall carambola tree. For the past two days I have noticed that there are fast-flying insects flying over the carambola, back and forth, and I can't tell what they are. They don't seem to be stopping at it, just flying over it, but closely tracing the outline of its branches with their flight. Then they fly around the other plants some and then I lose sight of them. They are flying very fast and I can't see what they look like at all. They're not flying in a swarm or anything, just lots of traffic to and fro. I'm worried about what they are and whether it's safe to go near the tree. I tend to have reactions to insect bites!

The carambola is flowering a lot, and I did see a couple green metallic bees on its flowers yesterday, and a few regular bees hovering on other plants. And then I saw wasps too and something that looked like a yellow jacket as well as a giant black waspy thing. How fast do bees tend to fly and would they be flying over the tree a lot without stopping? I wish whatever it is would slow down so I could see what it is! Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on what they might be? So far when I have gotten close they have ignored me, which seems like a good sign. I want them to just be the cute little green bees but I'm worried they're something else!

Thanks!

Comments (6)