SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

'I hear birds'

This has become one of the coolest things about working from home. Not just that I get to hear and watch the birds all day long, but when I'm on the phone with clients or sources, I often wander around my yard while we're talking.

And this time of year, so many people comment on the birds they hear in the background. Generally, they're talking about the mocking birds, who sing up a storm. And I truly believe, "it's a sin to kill a mocking bird."

They're protecting a nest in the oak tree right now. A dove laboriously built a nest in the sapodilla - we watched him for an entire weekend, with his silly awkward flight and his outrageous crash landing in the tree each time he brought a piece of straw up there.

We don't know where the cardinals put their nest this year, but it's around here somewhere because they've been really active lately. Last year it was too close to the pool and they lost a baby the day they kicked him out of the nest.

I know these are all common backyard birds. But I live on less than 1/3 of an acre, with five-foot lot lines, in the city of Miami. So I really enjoy my wildlife. I love the fact that I've got at least three nests in my little yard.

And I now understand the three-year restriction for organic farmers. I saw a dramatic increase in butterflies, birds and dragonflies about three years after we moved in. That would be the time that this yard had not been subjected to pesticides or herbicides. We're not fully organic. I fertilize a little here and there. But most plants live most of the time off of rain water (from the sky and the barrel) and compost and mulch. And my birds are clearly happy about that.

Comments (6)