SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

the wedding garden update

So I spent a hot sweaty weekend a few weeks ago planting red salvia, nicely spaced, figuring I had several weeks of careful watering and even a little fertilizing for them to bush up a bit.

Well the snails thought that was just dandy. So now I have a well-watered bed of salvia sticks, with some spanish needle volunteering in there and the inevitable zoysia poking through. Gosh I hate zoysia.

But I'm sticking with my plan, so I headed to HD today for more flowers for another bed and for the pots hanging on the fence. Screw the salvia bed.

This time I came home with pink vinca, purple verbena, white and purple trailing lantana, white penta (take that snails!) white caladiums, a red flower I forget the name of and some persian shield - 45 plants total. The peachy pink vinca is a perfect match for one of my plumeria, which is a stunner right now, meaning it will probably stop blooming in time for the wedding. My neighbor commented on it today, saying she had never noticed that it bloomed before. Well, it never did like this!

My bleeding heart is also putting on a nice show right now, again meaning it will probably give up just in time for the champagne toast. The gardenia was stunning this year too, with its last bloom falling off this weekend. Naturally. At least the dwarf ponciana appears to be prepping for a glorious show.

The trailing lantana went into pots hanging on the fence, with a couple caladiums in the lowest ones because they get no sun whatsoever.

Still not sure what to do with the other caladiums. I wanted white because people are going to be here at night.... but I've got a lot of sun and not much shade.

Can white caladiums handle mostly shade with an hour or so of afternoon sun or will they get burned? I'm thinking of putting them in under the ponciana, which throws a good bit of shade now, but which would allow them to get a little very late afternoon sun.

And yes, once I finish getting everything in the ground, I fully intend to spend the next three weeks watering plants. And smashing snails.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus