SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Tour of the Yard

In order to not have too many pictures on one post I am showing the pictures of my yard separately from the "Tour of the Veggie Garden".

Here is a grouping of ornamental pineapples that are beginning to send up a flower spike.

Here are some amaryllis in bloom today. The first picture is 'Charisma' with 'Clown' in the background. The second picture of a couple of amaryllis that were given to me so the names are unknown.

Here is a sad picture of my two starfruit trees that had to be severely cut back in order to cover them during the hard freeze (24*). They were once as high as my roof peak.

I am happy to say that my 10 year old jabotacaba tree is producing fruit for the first time. It took the freezes much better than I had expected.

I have two TYPES of pineapples. The first picture is of the regular 'Delmonte Gold' pineapples that you get from the grocery store. The first picture has 6 flower spikes emerging. The other type of pineapples that I have are low-acid varieties. They all have barbed leaves in a more compact plant. The fruits are somewhat smaller, but I like these varieties for eating better. I grow these in clumps, just like ornamental bromiliads. I know these plants look beaten up from the freezes, but I just can't believe they survived and are fruiting!

A few weeks ago I posted a thread with a highlight of our trip to ECHO Farm Day in Fort Myers. In it I posted a picture and info on a presentation about an incredible plant called Moringa. I bought some seeds and just planted them after starting them in pots. They don't need staking. I put them there in hopes that my dog, Sumo, won't trample them.

I'll find the post and bump it up so those of you that didn't see it and read it.

Christine

Comments (4)