SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpuras73

Central Florida Pool Landscape advice

jpuras73
15 years ago

Hey folks. New here. Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I finally saved up some $$ and decided to landscape my backyard. I have a small piece of property, about a 1/4 acre. My backyard has a 14x28 pool and spa surrounded by brick pavers and a 12x12 lanai.

The available gardening area is about a 10' strip of bahia grass that surrounds the W, N and E side of the property.

What I would like is that Tropical feel with some color. There will be a total of 5 plant beds with up to 4 plants on each. So far I have picked out the following:

2x triple stalk Xmas Palms 8'(NE corner)

2x triple stalk Date Palms 8'(NW corner)

1x Spindle Palm (N, center backyard)

2x Orange Bird of Paradise (N side of yard on both sides of spindle palm)

1x Bird of Paradise (E side of yard, by it self)

1x Bottle Palm (W side of yard)

4x Xanadu (filler)

2x Red Hawaiian Ti (filler color)

2x yellow green color Ti's

That is what I have so far purchased. The plan can be changed if need. I have tried landscaping before, I just bought whatever was "pretty" without researching it and just wasted my money. I don't want to do that this time.

My goal is to get my yard looking tropical and colorful with hardy med-low maintenance plants.

I am looking for some additional fillers and wanted to get your opinion on if it's a good idea or not. I live in Palm Bay, FL and it gets up to the high 90's and as low as 30 degrees maybe 3 or 4 times a year. All plants will pretty much have full sun most of the day.

I am thinking Philodendrons, Canna Lilly's (x2), Banana Ensete Maurelli (1 or 2, but I hear it's not too hardy), Red Emperor x1 or 2 and Musa Basjoo (would replace Ensete Maurelli)

If these or the others are not good choices, I am open to other ideas. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jose

Comments (7)