SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Winter birds & feeding

Pudge 2b
18 years ago

Since I only started using bird feeders this spring, I'm sort of clueless about winter birds and what will visit the feeders. So far I'm quite surprised at the amount of birds still around, gobbling up the black oil sunflower seeds. I'm equally surprised that no birds seem interested in the Niger seed in the tube feeders - only the odd one will nibble for a few minutes and then make his way to the back yard where the sunflower seed feeder is.

Just when I got used to identifying the birds thru the summer, now I have to deal with winter colours and I'm not sure if I'm getting them all correct or not. I **think** there are still house finches and pine siskins as well as sparrows. They all feed and fly around together like one big happy family. Of course the females (I find) are even harder to identify so what I'm thinking is a sparrow might be a female something or other. I've seen a few dark eyed Juncos feeding there, too.There's been a big flock of bohemian waxwings visiting the chokecherry trees but they've picked them almost clean now. And we had the pleasure of a pair of blue jays for a bit, but I haven't seen them recently. I bought some suet feeders - thinking that would draw those jays but so far the only bird that's nibbled at the suet has been a magpie

The ravens are back, they seem bigger than ever this winter. The geese and ducks and other waterfowl are all gone although there is still a bit of open water. DH said he saw a large flock of pelicans yesterday a few miles out of town. No doubt they were headed south, trying to get ahead of this storm that's blown in.

Which birds do you get in the winter, and do you continue feeding? If I put out fruit (what kind is best) or berries (I have very old frozen saskatoons in the freezer) or peanuts, can I expect something else to visit?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting