SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkers_gw

Need Daylily advice for swale planting

bunkers
15 years ago

Hi,

This area (to the left in the picture ... and beyond where this picture shows) is part of drainage swale that runs through my property. This is an emergency (overflow) swale and not the primary way that stormwater travels. Underneath my yard are a couple 18" concrete pipes and large intake/drain on the lot behind me.

The fence on the left actually goes across this emergency swale and is about 1" about the rocks for about 12' and then 1-12" above the rocks for another 4' on either side.

The fence has 2x4 steel fencing attached to it all the way down and into the rocks. So nothing can get into my backyard ... but the fence looks floating (above the rocks) from the street and its not a really great look.

I'm thinking about possibly planting daylilys in some configuration in front of the fence, down in the swale area ... and the goals would be to hide the "see through" or "see under" the fence ... and also to provide a nice look from the street. It could be a simple row of daylilys or something smaller in front with something larger behind it.

This are tends to be fairly moist all the time, just as it is an area where water from my house and yard drains into. I also want something that can be totally overrun with water, if this emergency swale ever kicks into action. Both below ground and above ground are scaled for the 100 year flood (flow rate).

Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

Comments (7)