SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

Need help for a big gaping hole

north53 Z2b MB
15 years ago

Yesterday, I was just intending to finish pruning a few branches since DH was taking a load to the dumps. He decided to help by bringing out the power tools. One thing led to another and the next thing I knew we had cut down the spruce tree growing next to our front steps.

Now I know we'd been talking about doing that for some time, but I wasn't prepared for the barren looking hole we created in such a visible spot. It's going to snow any day, so the evidence will be hidden for the winter, but I really need help deciding what to replace that tree with. We removed it because it was getting too large for its location. I knew when I planted it that it was too close to the house and would eventually have to be cut down. But it was difficult for me to actually have it happen. I hate cutting down healthy trees.

So the problem is, the house faces north. The sun never reaches this spot. What kind of shrub can I plant there? It will be in the shade in summer, but will be totally exposed to the harsh winds in winter. The 5 front steps go up to a small landing, so the shrub needs to have some height to it.

The other 2 shrubs currently in front of the house are a nest spruce and a golden variegated dogwood. They do fine, but the dogwood always gets attacked by aphids in the spring. I've wondered if its location contributes to that problem. But it always recovers and looks fine for the rest of the summer.

Can anyone help?

Comments (12)