SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

New projects on the cheap, sort of...

As I continue to carve out the final corners of my gardens, squeezing in new plantings and brainstorming on future ones, I find having plants that are crowded elsewhere in the garden serves me well now in new bed designs. While these plants did acrue costs years ago, most have now put on some growth and work well for new plantings. Some are also from pots and there are a few new acquisitions snuck in as well but the small costs of bark and labor make these new projects highly rewarding.

A huge, overgrown mugo pine was here until last week. Now it provides a spot for several smaller conifers, a few Japanese maples and a few larger specimens.

As with most of my gardens, in 5-10 years I'll have more crowding issues, but I'd rather have something I can enjoy asthetically for years and then move plants then have a museum setting with yards of bark between each specimen.

Another project I had planned all Summer was expanding this wall for the planting of Picea abies 'Catharine's Golden Heart'. I recycled all the wood, bought new stakes and I'll have to seal up some of the gaps but it worked and was free for the most part.

A huge, overgrown Doug fir 'pup' was taking over here, reaching out well into the grass and crowded everything in sight. It took a lot of work to remove but it provided the largest new spot yet and I filled it with some of my treasured plants.

Another remodel area.

Thanks for checking it out, it was 'fun' work.

-Will

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022