SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

I hate vacations! (well, sort of)

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just came back from an 8 day road trip to the midwest (weather was lovely, cool, and humid--I even got to wear a sweater, something I haven't done since my last trip to Flagstaff, LOL). Anyway, as usual, the entire time up to the trip was spent with me fretting over my garden. It happens any time I head out of town on a road trip for work, or for a vacation. What about you?

What do you worry about? What do you do about it?

I fret especially during warm weather. I'm a huge cactus and succulent nut, so there are few worries with those, thank goodness, but even though I tell myself NO LEAFY PLANTS unless plugged in to the drip irrigation system, I still end up with several of them in the ground and in pots. I bring the pots indoors so they're usually fine (though they can get cranky if I'm away on long trips), but I always end up with leafy plants in the ground that aren't on drips. It's like an addiction, LOL.

Do you have the same problem? Or at least the same worries? I hate it, LOL. I've tried cheap auto-waterers for containers (last one leaked), and friends (the last was a light waterer and then got scared of a snake and skipped the last two days, grumble). What about you??

This last trip last week worked out great, mostly because I've worked hard to get extra lines in my watering system so things like my many citrus trees were hooked up, plus some other plants too. Buuuuut, I did put in a small section of mini oleanders recently and I was worried about those. I ended up buying some of those ooze-tube slow-drip tree waterers (basically a big plastic bag that you attach a small drip-emmitter to; they're used for slow-watering of new trees but I thought I could attach spaghetti irrigation tubing and use it to water new plants). That worked out great, as did those blown glass water globes indoors on the houseplants, but it's always a stress. Do you get the same way?

The last thing I do before heading out is to water the garden, and the first thing I do is water/check on the garden too. I'd love to hear if anyone else deals with the same feelings.

I'm happy to report the garden looks great and everything thrived, but I have to be diligent with myself! :) Some wonderful leafy surprises were that my *established* emu bushes (Eremophila) and *established* penstemons and lantanas didn't miss me a bit.

Chime in if you'd like. I'm sure others would like to hear too.

Take care and happy gardening!

Grant, very happy to be back in our wonderful, kooky climate.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz