SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzymoto

New greenhouse on the way....sort of.

16 years ago

The wife and I have been planning a greenhouse for years and we finally ordered ours today. We've been building the foundation/floor since last year as part of another house project and everything is ready for the actual greenhouse.

I've also been reading/searching everything I can on this site and others as well as books for the past 2 years.

I'm in PA and we ordered a 10x16 home attached greenhouse, (all glass) that we hope to start installing in a month or so.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions coming up, but initially I'd love to hear any advice on attaching to the house & slab. The house has vinyl siding and I'm hoping to be able to do the attachment myself. I do plan to use flashing at the top and ice-dam membrane where it hits the walls. I'm not sure what to use between the frame and concrete slab...perhaps foundation-sill material? Also what sort of anchors to use to attach to the concrete.

I believe I have most of the venting issues worked out for the upcoming warm season and I'm still working out the heating details for fall/winter. I have propane or electric (120) available but I believe I'm most comfortable with electric for now (we get odd additives in our propane sometimes). My main concern is how the irrigation & misting systems I plan to install will affect an electric heater. For this reason I've been leaning toward the oil-filled heaters...but again this is all very preliminary....I've read a ton of article here on heating but I'd love to hear from other users in the colder climates. (I do plan to try to keep the greenhouse heated (60's F) in the winter.

I'm new to all of this and excited ot get it going....thanks to everyone for all of the good reading/posts and thanks in advance for your help & advice...

FM

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths