SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chilby

To Greenhouse or not to Greenhouse.. that is the Question

Chilby
9 years ago

Hi from Australia Guys, ( and Shiela's too )

I'm a retiring architect. A few years back I was given 750 sq feet of greenhouse glass which has sat forlorn in the shed under a bench.

Lately I messed up on an on-line auction site and won 3000 pieces of 39" long 2"x1" treated pine. It occurred to me it's perfect for making individual double frames for the glass. And so it seems that by accident I have most of the bits needed to make a reasonable sized glasshouse.

However I am the worlds worst gardener so my mandate in retirement is to improve my gardening skills marginally.

So here is my question: I live in rural South Australia. The soil is mainly deep volcanic sands often depleted in phosphorous. The climate is temperate ( tending to Mediterranean). Winters can be cold (10C), summer can be hot ( 30C mostly but up to 45C ). Frost is negligible but present. I live on the coast in a national park on the delta of the longest river in Oz.

if you were me, what would you grow in a glasshouse here? Why do I need it, would you build it? Is this a project that should involve hydroponics?

This is to say - i'd like to build something for that is my habit, I just don't know why!

Comments (16)