SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

I guess birds get cold too!

annafl
14 years ago

I've been away and then got back and had out of state company, so I haven't been able to post this. A few days ago, on our coldest day, I went out to the veggie garden to survey the damage. I was looking around feeling good with the sun on my back, and when I started on my way back, I noticed something on the backside of my Nam Wah banana. It was this little screech owl sunning himself in full view and not bothered by me, only three feet or so away. He would barely open his eyes and then close them again. I had to take this pic of him to show my family.... and you! The last four days I've also had a yellow-rumped warbler hanging around the veggie garden after I water. In some areas I can see a wisp of steam coming up from the soil, and he gets in there and looks for bugs... or maybe he just likes the heat radiating up from the wet ground. He is almost tame as he lets me get very close to him and even approaches me, only 4 or 5 feet away. I've never seen a warbler do this, and he is always alone. Go figure, two birds tamed by the cold and doing everything in their power to stay warm.

After seeing so many dead lizards, it warmed my heart to see these awesome creatures in my little oasis. Lots of things in my yard look torched, by the way. We got down to 28 two nights in a row and have been in the low 30's the others since this cold spell started. Do you have any creature stories in this cold? BTW, the owl house that has been used the last three springs by the screech owls was occupied by a red-bellied woodpecker after the owls moved out last spring and now is occupied by a squirrel that has really appreciated it these last couple of weeks. At the dinner table I see him peering out of his little mansion on a regular basis. It has been a very popular house.

Anna

Comments (10)